Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
CLASS - 8 Truck Streamlining Benchmark

An advance apology,as I am not current with truck aero and I am not certain that the following is the most accurate data,however it may serve us until someone steps in with more current info.----------------------------------------------------------------------As of the early 1990s,the benchmark for a Class-8 combination was the Renault V.I.R.A.G.E.S. VE 10 concept truck.With the full compliment of tractor and trailer mods,and using data extrapolated from Renault's data summary,their 1986 tractor/trailer combination achieves Cd 0.292 with boat tail lengthened by an additional 16 inches ( 400 mm ).At 52,800 LBS GVW and 65 mph,the rig can return 9.012 mpg.The rig is a 10-wheeler,with radial super-singles,so benefits from the more narrow and lower frontal area wheel/tires( not to mention lower rolling resistance).---------------------------------------------------- The "highest" reported mpg for a semitrailer combination that I've managed to see so far,is that of the WHITEGMC Aero Series concept truck constructed for the American Trucking Association's "Tomorrow's Truck Program".--------- With 65,000 GVW,pulling a 13'-5" trailer with bias-ply tires at 55.8 mph,returning 11.5 mpg.------------------------------------------------ The WHITEGMC truck had a single drive axle,radial super-singles,sloped-hood,front airdam,side skirts,integrated rooftop air deflector and cab extenders,flush headlights,marker lights and turn signals.Only 59 horsepower is required to overcome aerodynamic drag at the tested velocity,168 horsepower overall.----------------------------------------------------- Speed remains the greatest factor to mpg,seconded by frontal area,and finally shape.----------------------------------------------------------- As an aside,the modern high-torque/low-rpm engine-powertrains are good for a 10% mpg improvement over the units of the 1970s.--------------------- Radial super-singles offer a 19% savings over conventional bias-ply tires.------------------------------------------------------------------- Combined with the aero-mods,this gives an 61.5% mpg advantage over yesteryear's rigs,and well over 100-mpg on a passenger/ton-mile basis.BSFCs are as low as 0.33 pounds per brake horsepower,and future materials technology and compound turbocharging will push BSFCs even lower.---------------------------------------------------------------- Hucho considers Cd 0.15 as a practical limit for realistic aerodynamics.At Cd 0.292 that leaves room for more mpg from aero if we have the stomach for it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread