EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Cold enough for ya? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cold-enough-ya-35990.html)

MetroMPG 12-28-2017 09:13 AM

Cold enough for ya?

It's cold out!

How cold is it!?

It's so cold that I did something this morning I haven't done in a couple of years: I started the car and let it idle for about 3 minutes before driving! (No block heater... yet.)

-32C / -26F

Ecky 12-28-2017 09:26 AM

I moved from the mountains down into the Champlain valley, and it was only -10F when I woke up, rather than ~-20F. Enjoying my heated seats.

Frank Lee 12-28-2017 09:33 AM

-28f recently. The plow has been busy filling in my driveway entrance and I'm like "meh" so I've been snowed in since before xmas. Last time I tried to walk somewhere I found I wasn't dressed for -400 windchill so I've been hiding in the house. There's also 1/4" of ice on the car I don't feel like scraping off.

MetroMPG 12-28-2017 09:33 AM

Lake Champlain area: That's a beautiful part of the world. I've been there a couple of times... but never in winter!

MetroMPG 12-28-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

wasn't dressed for -400 windchill
HA! :D

The "good" thing about these temperatures is it's usually calm and sunny out.

I went for a walk before breakfast this AM, and today was the first day my toes and fingers got cold, even with 2 pairs of socks & mitties, 4 layers everywhere else.

Frank Lee 12-28-2017 09:49 AM

I've been P&Ging the furnace... windows are frosted over; can't see out. I keep a glass of water on the nightstand; if there's ever ice in it it's time to pulse the furnace. I haven't let it get THAT cold but I do let it get sub-40 (the lowest temp the thermostat will read out). I tell you what, the tap water has been nice and ICE COLD and cans of soda not in the fridge are just fine. I'm sure the gas company will think their meter is busted... again. They replaced it a few years ago but I don't know if it's because it was scheduled or if they thought it was malfunctioning due to my low low usage.

I've been waiting for peak ambient temps and peak solar gain- that is, when the sun finally does show up- to pulse the furnace so that has been from 1-4 pm.

Stubby79 12-28-2017 09:52 AM

We had a white chistmas...but currently, it's 4 above freezing. :p

Fat Charlie 12-28-2017 11:17 AM

I feel like a lightweight, it was only 8 below this morning.

With the grille block, I was still able to comfortably take my hat off after 20 miles of driving.

MetroMPG 12-28-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 557395)
We had a white chistmas...but currently, it's 4 above freezing. :p

I had to restrain myself from typing something uncharitable just now.

Xist 12-28-2017 11:34 AM

Weather is weird. Portland had snow, but Show Low did not. Mom says she normally has a white Christmas. I think one of these days will hit sixty. Flagstaff must be one of the coldest parts of Arizona and both mountains have good ski resorts, but this winter has been unseasonably warm. I am sorry if winter is a problem for the other 49 states and whatever Canada is, but I feel reassured that winter is performing within specified parameters everywhere else.