Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Concept idea: 3-/2-wheel cabin scooter

I feel like sharing an idea I´ve had for years:
I got inspired after riding a Peraves Ecomobile almost 20 years ago. I later started to build my own FF-bike with electric motor and the intention of adding an aerodynamic body but never reached that point. I had however a well functioning rolling chassi that was wonderful to ride. I got about 45 kilometers from four standard size car batteries and a cruising speed of aprox 40 km/h. I used my electric FF-bike for one summer only but have kept dreaming of a more evolved vehicle since then.

I have no motorcycle licence but love to find ways to slip through traffic laws. Here in Sweden/Europe a symmetrical 3-wheeler below 300kg is defined as a motorcycle but can be legaly driven on an ordinary car license. The cabin scooters of the 1950´s fall into this category and I have a tiny Heinkel Kabine that I love but I think a three-wheeler could be made much more interesting.

The Piaggio MP3, a modern open scooter, is an interesting concept since it has two narrow-spaced front wheels but looks like an ordinary scooter except from this bizzarre feature. The reason for two front wheels is officially to improve riding comfort and safety but it´s obvious that the MP3 is a successful slip between traffic laws since it´s allowed to be driven with a car license. -It´s a symmetrically built 3-wheeler and the laws say nothing about appearance and handling being similar to an ordinary 2-wheeler.

A Peraves Ecomobile is more of a tradidional MC since it has one wheel in the front and one in the rear, but it also have two tiny stabilizer wheels mounted on electrically controlled arms so the Ecomobile can be both static and driven at low speed without the driver needing to put down the feet to the ground. The Ecomobile is therefore a 4-wheeler below a certain speed but a romboid one, not at all similar to a car. It is considered as a normal MC by law and must be driven with an MC license.

My third source of inspiration is a hybrid concept with electric motor(-s) giving just enough power for a little bit more than city traffic and a diesel engine with a direct drive (single gear) to reach highway speed. The diesel is equipped with an alternator capable of deliviering the power needed for the electric motorns. This concept should weigh less than a "full-sized" serial hybrid and also have smaller losses at higher speed. Almost no weight is spended on a traditional gearbox for the diesel and the electric components can be a lot smaller than needed for highway speed. On the other hand must some extra weight be added to be able to mechanically shift between electric and diesel power. Some sort of custom built gearbox is therefor needed. -Or is it realy?

Take a look at the Peraves Ecomobile again! Put the city traffic electric motors inside the stabilizer wheels and let the "real" rearwheel be directly driven by the diesel with no clutch or gearbox at all! The stabilisers need to be a bit stronger to be able to lift the rear of the entire vehicle. While standing still or driving slowly the diesel rearwheel may be spinning at highway pace a bit above the ground. A nice benefit is that the forward view may be improved for city traffic when the vehicle is lifted up in the rear.

Since the rearwheel is constantly connected to the diesel it may be a perfect base for a lightweight but efficient alternator! Just add some strong magnets to the rim and a bunch of coils at the swing-arm and it´s done!

My concept vehicle is both a 2-wheeler and a 3-wheeler and that may be impossible to get approved by the laws but with the diesel-driven rearwheel/alternator hidden in the bodywork and the stabilisers just a bit above the ground I guess it will be difficult for the law enforcers along the road to tell the difference. My vehicle must most likely be approved as a fixed 3-wheeler.

How about passengers then? The concept is offcourse well suited for a single person vehicle but why not add a passenger seat. With the passenger located behind the driver not much length must be added. But how about two passengers or perhaps even more? When put in a row with the legs on each side of the person in front each passenger takes up very little room but with several passengers the resulting vehicle will look like a space rocket and be a sad story to handle in city traffick and be difficult to park.

My solution to the passenger problem is to divide the body shell in a front and a rear part on a chassi that can be extended when extra space is needed. The gap between the fiberglass shells is then covered by a canvas section. At low speed and nice weather the vehicle may be driven extended without this canvas secition. An extendable chassi will offcourse add extra weight but not som much compared to a fixed structure capable of carrying four or five persons. It is also easy to design the concept as a modular system based on a front and end section and a number of different "payload modules" that can be installed at home in the garage. It may even be possible to design an extra wide cargo module (like a square box) that gives a lot of extra cargo volume at city speed on three wheels only.

I have no drawings of the concept, except from what´s in my head. I have been playing with something like this for over ten years and this is by far the most interesting development I have shared here. Please feel free to critisise as well as stealing the concept! (as long as I get to see the result)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Homemade Ecomobile

Here's the detailed website of a guy building a homemade EcoMobile, and doing quite an excellent job so far.

AeroBike Enclosed Motorcycle
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Yes, the Aerobike is a very nice vehicle! I forgot to write a reference to it. But it´s still a two-wheeler with a traditional powertrain while I dream about something more extreme. (as if the Aerobike isn´textreme... :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gasser - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
I wish somebody would make a eco kit car, trike or enclosed bike. small displacement motorcycle powered as they are lightweight and much more compact than car drive train.

A Bike would be my first choice, with a reverse trike being a close second, only better because of stability if you lock the front wheel, and I currently live in Michigan, and would visit even if i moved away. A trike would allow the use of car tires since it wont lean, so a large variety of snow compounds are available.

I can take care of heating and cooling if somebody else could do body panels. two seats with one removable or fold able for cargo would be great, I like the modular mid section idea, especially for servicing components.

As for what im not fond of: the seats so close you legs are by the hips of the person in front of you.
This makes it almost impossible for this passenger to do anything. I find it hard to sit in my drivers seat and use my lap top (even with the seat slid all the way back, and I am 5'9") as the steering wheel doesn't allow it to be far enough away for my arms to be comfortable, or a good screen angle, reading a book needs less room but still more than I envisioned. I could see sleeping, assuming a smooth and quiet ride, dont think i'd be bothered by the leaning at all.

Direct drive ICE:
Being a motorcycle mechanic, I can say that a transmission is not that much weight, and the ability to change ratios to keep the engine in a efficient rev range. The diesel I only dislike because of availability, higher fuel price, and my less knowledge of them, but the possibility to run on waste oil is appealing.

I am quite jealous of your experience riding in a ecomobile, if they were less expensive, and in the USA, I would probably just buy one.

Things I would keep in mind:
Globally available platform.
Electronically injected fuel system for instrumentation and evaporative emissions.
Servicing schedule of donor vehicle.
stack-able body panels for kit shipping.

Reply  Post New Thread