EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Conservation of Momentum- Good or Bad? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/conservation-momentum-good-bad-19065.html)

320touring 10-07-2011 08:04 AM

Conservation of Momentum- Good or Bad?

Ok, So I have a selection of RWD cars, and a love of sweeping corners...

Quite regularly, I'll use the grip and capability of the car to maintain high (relatively!) speeds in the corner.

Am I om doing this of would DFCO engine braking be a better bet?

I can see it reducing wear and tear on the car, but I'd still have to get back upto pace after the corner?

I'd be interested on what your thoughts are on this!

JasonG 10-07-2011 08:17 AM

My experience isv that keeping the momentum up uses less fuel.
Both my vehicles are over 3500lbs though.
I think it would mean more on a heavier car than your Miata.

320touring 10-07-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 264510)
My experience isv that keeping the momentum up uses less fuel.
Both my vehicles are over 3500lbs though.
I think it would mean more on a heavier car than your Miata.

I've tended to find that too- I dont know if its just the setup on my BMW's though...certainly, with some bravery there is vay little (if any) braking required on most roads (alpine passes can be a bit hairy though!)

HAHAHAHA re the Mazda- that's my colleagues car (we carshare to work), and couldnt be much further from an mx-5 (miata).. its a Mazda6 2.2 diesel.

Arragonis 10-07-2011 01:28 PM

As I swoooooosh majestically through corners like the well seasoned grand tourer that I am in my FWD car.... :D no, lets not start that one again ;)

Keeping momentum seems like a good idea on the basis that if you lose speed then you may have to spend fuel (thats my new phrase, "spend fuel") to get that speed back again. DFCO is good when you have to slow - timing lights for example - or when going on a long downhill section. It also means that you don't brake all the way down so if you have to stop suddenly, people can see that happening.

One of my annoyances at the moment is roundabouts, or rather people who don't seem able to anticipate them, so often I end up having to slow or even stop when it is not needed. So a gap in front is also a good thing.

Arragonis 10-08-2011 05:04 AM

Braking is good for momentum in the right situation - braking for a light so you coast up to it just as it changes is a good one. Its also a great method for annoying people who treat each light to light run as a grand prix as you just coast quietly by...

JasonG 10-08-2011 08:04 AM

Miata comment, delete, delete, delete. How could I con fuse those two !

Most here abhor roundabouts (traffic circles) as well. 80% think "gret! Now what do I do, there's no stoplight" while the other 20% percent yell "bloddy amuricans, learn to drive!!"

As for keeping momentum, my truck with 135K still has the factory brakes :)

euromodder 10-08-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 264656)
Most here abhor roundabouts (traffic circles) as well. 80% think "gret! Now what do I do, there's no stoplight" while the other 20% percent yell "bloddy amuricans, learn to drive!!"

Roundabouts force everyone to slow down, wether it's necessary or not in the given traffic conditions.

On busy crossings, roundabouts often fail to provide a chance of crossing for some directions, and need to be augmented by traffic lights anyway.

320Touring, engine braking is still braking, so it's not good for your fuel consumption.
After slowing down, you'll want to speed up again.
Once more, that's not good.

Try to carry as much momentum through the corners as safely possible.
Same as on the track ;)

Though on the twisty British or Scottish roads, you can always be in for a surprise.
Once I've nearly rear-ended a steam-roller, slowly puffing up a hill, right after a bend in the road.

Arragonis 10-08-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 264659)
Though on the twisty British or Scottish roads, you can always be in for a surprise.
Once I've nearly rear-ended a steam-roller, slowly puffing up a hill, right after a bend in the road.

Basic UK road rule is make sure you can stop in the distance you can see. :thumbup:

user removed 10-08-2011 03:24 PM

The conservation of momentum is the cornerstone of high efficiency driving. Second most important is acceleration at best BSFC.

regards
Mech

320touring 10-10-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 264705)
Basic UK road rule is make sure you can stop in the distance you can see. :thumbup:

meh, thats what passing places are for:D

Seriously though, I do tend to keep within speedlimits, and follow the above advice..

Certainly seems I've struck a chord with tyou lot.. Suggests I'm doing something right..

So would modifying a car's suspension to lower it (less frontal area?!) and improve cornering (conservation of momentum) be considered a potential "Eco mod"?

Can you see how I'd pitch lowering the car to the girlfriend?