Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,401

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Babette - '01 Renault Clio 172 Exclusive
90 day: 31.17 mpg (US)

Derv Olop - '96 VW Polo CL
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)

The Miserly Missile - '01 Skoda Octavia Tdi Ambiente
Team m8
90 day: 48.67 mpg (US)

Puggit - '97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
90 day: 42.8 mpg (US)

Alfalfa - '02 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 T Spark
90 day: 27.31 mpg (US)

316 - '87 BMW 316
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)

Vectra - '01 Vauxhall Vectra SRi
90 day: 32.14 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

Howdi Hay two - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 49.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Conservation of Momentum- Good or Bad?

Ok, So I have a selection of RWD cars, and a love of sweeping corners...

Quite regularly, I'll use the grip and capability of the car to maintain high (relatively!) speeds in the corner.


Am I om doing this of would DFCO engine braking be a better bet?

I can see it reducing wear and tear on the car, but I'd still have to get back upto pace after the corner?


I'd be interested on what your thoughts are on this!

__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Merc s124 300TD


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JasonG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte NC / York SC
Posts: 726

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 107
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
My experience isv that keeping the momentum up uses less fuel.
Both my vehicles are over 3500lbs though.
I think it would mean more on a heavier car than your Miata.
__________________




I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,401

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Babette - '01 Renault Clio 172 Exclusive
90 day: 31.17 mpg (US)

Derv Olop - '96 VW Polo CL
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)

The Miserly Missile - '01 Skoda Octavia Tdi Ambiente
Team m8
90 day: 48.67 mpg (US)

Puggit - '97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
90 day: 42.8 mpg (US)

Alfalfa - '02 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 T Spark
90 day: 27.31 mpg (US)

316 - '87 BMW 316
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)

Vectra - '01 Vauxhall Vectra SRi
90 day: 32.14 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

Howdi Hay two - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 49.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
My experience isv that keeping the momentum up uses less fuel.
Both my vehicles are over 3500lbs though.
I think it would mean more on a heavier car than your Miata.

I've tended to find that too- I dont know if its just the setup on my BMW's though...certainly, with some bravery there is vay little (if any) braking required on most roads (alpine passes can be a bit hairy though!)

HAHAHAHA re the Mazda- that's my colleagues car (we carshare to work), and couldnt be much further from an mx-5 (miata).. its a Mazda6 2.2 diesel.
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Merc s124 300TD


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
As I swoooooosh majestically through corners like the well seasoned grand tourer that I am in my FWD car.... no, lets not start that one again

Keeping momentum seems like a good idea on the basis that if you lose speed then you may have to spend fuel (thats my new phrase, "spend fuel") to get that speed back again. DFCO is good when you have to slow - timing lights for example - or when going on a long downhill section. It also means that you don't brake all the way down so if you have to stop suddenly, people can see that happening.

One of my annoyances at the moment is roundabouts, or rather people who don't seem able to anticipate them, so often I end up having to slow or even stop when it is not needed. So a gap in front is also a good thing.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Braking is good for momentum in the right situation - braking for a light so you coast up to it just as it changes is a good one. Its also a great method for annoying people who treat each light to light run as a grand prix as you just coast quietly by...
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JasonG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte NC / York SC
Posts: 726

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 107
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
Miata comment, delete, delete, delete. How could I con fuse those two !

Most here abhor roundabouts (traffic circles) as well. 80% think "gret! Now what do I do, there's no stoplight" while the other 20% percent yell "bloddy amuricans, learn to drive!!"

As for keeping momentum, my truck with 135K still has the factory brakes
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,666

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Thanks: 176
Thanked 641 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Most here abhor roundabouts (traffic circles) as well. 80% think "gret! Now what do I do, there's no stoplight" while the other 20% percent yell "bloddy amuricans, learn to drive!!"
Roundabouts force everyone to slow down, wether it's necessary or not in the given traffic conditions.

On busy crossings, roundabouts often fail to provide a chance of crossing for some directions, and need to be augmented by traffic lights anyway.

320Touring, engine braking is still braking, so it's not good for your fuel consumption.
After slowing down, you'll want to speed up again.
Once more, that's not good.


Try to carry as much momentum through the corners as safely possible.
Same as on the track

Though on the twisty British or Scottish roads, you can always be in for a surprise.
Once I've nearly rear-ended a steam-roller, slowly puffing up a hill, right after a bend in the road.
__________________
GasDwarf's fuel consumption :
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Though on the twisty British or Scottish roads, you can always be in for a surprise.
Once I've nearly rear-ended a steam-roller, slowly puffing up a hill, right after a bend in the road.
Basic UK road rule is make sure you can stop in the distance you can see.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,302 Posts
The conservation of momentum is the cornerstone of high efficiency driving. Second most important is acceleration at best BSFC.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,401

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Babette - '01 Renault Clio 172 Exclusive
90 day: 31.17 mpg (US)

Derv Olop - '96 VW Polo CL
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)

The Miserly Missile - '01 Skoda Octavia Tdi Ambiente
Team m8
90 day: 48.67 mpg (US)

Puggit - '97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
90 day: 42.8 mpg (US)

Alfalfa - '02 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 T Spark
90 day: 27.31 mpg (US)

316 - '87 BMW 316
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)

Vectra - '01 Vauxhall Vectra SRi
90 day: 32.14 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

Howdi Hay two - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 49.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Basic UK road rule is make sure you can stop in the distance you can see.

meh, thats what passing places are for

Seriously though, I do tend to keep within speedlimits, and follow the above advice..

Certainly seems I've struck a chord with tyou lot.. Suggests I'm doing something right..

So would modifying a car's suspension to lower it (less frontal area?!) and improve cornering (conservation of momentum) be considered a potential "Eco mod"?

Can you see how I'd pitch lowering the car to the girlfriend?

__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Merc s124 300TD


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com