EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   "Conspicuous conservation"? An interesting discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/conspicuous-conservation-interesting-discussion-21345.html)

Thymeclock 04-07-2012 05:32 PM

"Conspicuous conservation"? An interesting discussion

Is driving a Prius all about making yourself look good rather than actually saving the planet? Here are some interesting thoughts about it:

Freakonomics: Saving the environment, or just showing off? | Marketplace from American Public Media

cleanspeed1 04-07-2012 05:45 PM

Driving a Prius did not become cool until the celebs started buying them, like hipster style is "poverty chic".

JasonG 04-08-2012 07:44 AM

Its like the folks around here buying Smart cars.
Some thing that small must get great mileage!
Wow, that tiny car must be great for the enviroment.
Last I checked they get mid 30s EPA
Funny thing is watching them fly by at 75MPH and knowing my wifes V-6 SUV going 60MPH is getting better mileage with all her tools and parts in the back.
A stock Accord/Corrola/Cobalt/small 4 door sedan typically gets the same mileage or better and can fit 4 plus luggage.

Why do people buy them ?
Sounds like "conspicuous conservation" doesn't it.

Ryland 04-08-2012 08:20 AM

Only when I'm driving my 31 year old green wedge shaped electric car around, charged off wind power, I do get a little smug, then I pass someone on a bicycle and feel bad for being in a car again.
But I like weird vehicles too.

cleanspeed1 04-08-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 299024)
Only when I'm driving my 31 year old green wedge shaped electric car around, charged off wind power, I do get a little smug, then I pass someone on a bicycle and feel bad for being in a car again.
But I like weird vehicles too.

Naw dude, you are in the game for the right reasons. You have passion for this. Too many people just want to be poseurs. As long as it's fashionable, they are doing it, not because they actually give a care.

Ed-in-Maine 04-08-2012 11:29 AM

I think the freak guys made a good point. I had to laugh out loud when they talked about wind mills on buildings in Japan that the power the motors to turn the blades to make it look "Green". Then I thought for a moment and got depressed:(

cbaber 04-08-2012 11:30 AM

All the Prius's I see on the highway are driving at least 70 MPH. I am getting better mileage than them and it just makes me laugh to think about what we are talking about. If you really want to save money on gas or save the world, why would you be driving so inefficiently?

"Green" products are not going to save the world or reduce emissions. Humans have to be taught how to use the things we have in this world more efficiently. Just my opinion anyway.

nemo 04-08-2012 12:01 PM

But isn't it far better than a Escalade or similar?

jamesqf 04-08-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaber (Post 299062)
If you really want to save money on gas or save the world, why would you be driving so inefficiently?

Because your time is also of value? Because driving much slower (or faster) creates traffic congestion & causes accidents? Because life involves a lot of compromises, and the best compromise you can make is going 70 in a vehicle that doesn't use much gas doing it?

And if you're really serious about all that, why would you be driving anyway, instead of telecommuting?

larrybuck 04-08-2012 08:18 PM

Yes, but we are talking about the arrogant smugness that many Prius owners seem to have to display.

Such looks were common 2 decades ago w BMW, and Mercedes owners.

I personally think MOST, but not all Porsche people feel better than us.

I do like the 928 idea if they had recessed headlights.

Fads come and go, but human nature by and large stays the same.

I have seen a few smart cars being driven slowly ( the mpg is so bad they have to!),

and I have yet to see a Prius being driven conservatively!!!