EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Coolant Additive (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/coolant-additive-29454.html)

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 01:03 PM

Coolant Additive

I put some Wetter Wet coolant additive with my Zerex 50/50. I guess I was a sucker for slick marketing and from what I can tell has not lower my coolant temps but rather increased them.

ecomodded 07-10-2014 01:22 PM

Maybe its removing more heat from the engine block - but I doubt it -

Is there any actually science to the additive or is it a mystery additive ?

Daox 07-10-2014 01:47 PM

Is your existing cooling system having problems dealing with the heat? I find that hard to believe unless you have a problem with it. Why add the additive in the first place?

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 434663)
Maybe its removing more heat from the engine block - but I doubt it -

Is there any actually science to the additive or is it a mystery additive ?

Redline Wetter Wet is sold at Autozone, Summit and others .The claim is that reduce heat from motorcycles thru tractor trailors.. There are you tube video
I thought might have some basis or veracity just not finding
My normal temps about 181-184 f temp range but now has gone up to 186-190

TexasCotton 07-10-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 434664)
Is your existing cooling system having problems dealing with the heat? I find that hard to believe unless you have a problem with it. Why add the additive in the first place?

No issues just changed out coolant and thought would try it out. Apparently the 10 ten dollar bottle is a waste of time and money....

Daox 07-10-2014 04:16 PM

Well, the coolant temperature is controlled by your thermostat, not what liquid you have in the engine itself. The water wetter might help eliminate hot spots in the head or something, but in a non-modified engine I don't see that being a problem as the OEM has taken care of those sorts of things through design.

RobertISaar 07-10-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasCotton (Post 434701)
No issues just changed out coolant and thought would try it out. Apparently the 10 ten dollar bottle is a waste of time and money....

did you try running on just the new coolant or did you immediately add it in when you did the coolant drain/fill?

Cobb 07-10-2014 04:46 PM

Interesting..... I swear by it. I use a scan gauge 2 to monitor my water temp and its taken at the throttle body as the coolant circulates through it for what ever reason before the t stat. I notice with no water wetter My coolant hovers around 184 and climbs to 199 til the high speed fan comes on as the outside temp reaches room temp and my grill is blocked.

With some water wetter in the mix I notice the temp hovers around 179-181 at speed on the highway and high as 191 when accelerating.

nemo 07-10-2014 07:30 PM

Sure you got all the air out of the system?

Cobb 07-10-2014 10:21 PM

Good point. One reason you should measure the coolant going into the vehicle. I find when you add the water wetter it makes the coolant go in better and avoid the air traps. I always fill up the over flow bottle so if I miss some it can suck it out as needed and check it a day later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 434732)
Sure you got all the air out of the system?