Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MR2 - '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
90 day: 22.92 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Blue Bomber
Question Corvette Style Front End/Radiator Setup?

Been wondering if this would help improve aero vs. just adding a grill block, undertray, and redirecting radiator air out through the wheel wells. The Vette's front end is pretty much closed off (minus brake ducts), and it has a deflector underneath the front of the radiator directing airflow up towards it. The outlet directed back under the car. Would creating a setup like this be worth it? I've got an MR2, and the front end is very similar (minus the radiator inlet), and the radiator itself is set up at the same angle stock.

Pics of the Vette's setup:

View from above with upper blockoff removed:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Interesting idea, but I couldn't really say, since I'm no aerohead,
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-my-3619.html
^^
My 1990 Firebird employs that exact method.

(fog light holes, not air intakes)

You could use an air extracter like the newer Porsche 911's do, in their "hood" to pull air out after is passes the radiator:

I think it would be interesting to test on other cars. The thing is, you absolutly have to make it very sturdy. Like I said in my thread, the F-Body cars (Camaro and Firebird), and the Vettes will over heat if they loose the air dam. While maybe the C6 isn't as effected.. I know the C4 and C5 vettes relied on the air dam. Along with the late 70s F-bodies, and then the 3rd and 4th gen ones.

So maybe make the grille block removable incase you were to loose your DIY air dam on a drive way or something. My firebird's air dam scrapes just about every driveway known to man, lol.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Reply  Post New Thread