Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
That's basically what I saw today.

If I got off the gas completely, in 5th gear, above 32mph, the MPGuino would go to 0.00GPH ahd the scangauge would go into open loop. the fuel would start flowing again once it slowed down to 32mph and closed loop would be indicated.

It also seems to show "open loop" if I even look at the gas pedal the wrong way while accelerating But there is not a significant jump in consumption between just below open loop and just above open loop. I guess I have to hook up the cheesey o2 monitor to see if the car computer is still checking the mixture or not.

But if I account for all that, and relight the engine with the throttle at an appropriate cruise condition (not decelerating, not over accelrating), it goes back to indicating closed loop within 2 seconds.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the shoe - '97 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
You know, I'm not convinced that open loop indicates complete fuel shutdown. I thought I saw on the metro (with the mpguino ) that the injectors were still firing even when in overrun at a fairly high speed. I think I need to do some more tests on that...
Yes, I'm also very skeptical about that. The only difference I can tell between glide in D or N is that in N you can go a lot farther. Even if indeed the engine is using no gas in D glide I'm going to change to N just because of how much farther it glides. Seems like at least twice the distance!!!

HHINLA

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
automatic transmission, civic, honda, neutral, pulse and glide