Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
how many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
In 1914, if a car couldn't travel much faster than 30 MPH, why would it need aeromods?

How many gas stations do you think were available at that time? And how many paved roads were there?
Thymeclock,your points are well taken.
The sticking point for me is that even given these constraints,some envisioned the ultimate wisdom in minimizing end-use demand which remains good engineering practice.
And mods aren't necessary when the body-in-white design nails efficiency in the first place.Which would have been Eiffel's argument.And Jaray.And Lay.And Kamm.And Korff-------------------------------------------------.
GM's new Kruze' active grille-block begins to operate at 34-mph.Just a fluke?
30-mph into a headwind,tropical depression, or hurricane remnant winds can double your 'airspeed.'

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
I don't know how things are around other parts, but here around Columbus, Ohio, rich people don't buy Hummers. People who want others to think they are rich and are willing to spend an inordinate portion of their disposable income to encourage those thoughts drive Hummers. Oh yeah, and rednecks. Wealthy people in central Ohio drive entry level luxury cars and/or SUV's. I'll give them a pass on the SUV because I have lived through 33 Ohio winters now. The truth is, I don't much have a problem with a Hummer because it is a new enough vehicle that it is likely in proper working order with a modern emissions system. Yes, I would rather they used a bit less carbon emissions, but there are almost as many Iroc Z's in the road around here as an episode of Jersey Shore. Or any older car for that matter. My wife's car is a Wrangler Unlimited, which isn't a particularly efficient auto, but my wife is an RN, and she doesn't get to call work and say, "I can't make it; the roads are too bad."
That's my rambling way of saying sometimes 4wd is necessary, and that even the vilified Hummer is often a better choice than the old civic with worn out o2 sensor and a gutted cat. converter.
Payne,points well taken.My observation will extend beyond the snow-belt and to those ( less than 2% ) whom will ever fully exploit the potential of such a vehicle.
" The most expensive plumbing sleeps with the office furniture."
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

smog test

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
Sorry if I got a little defensive, but remember that there are people out there who genuinely need off road capable vehicles. Unfortunately, the only efficient one of those I ever drove was a Geo Tracker and they started growing them out of their efficiency (or rather, the Suzuki twin they still build). The sad thing is that there would be very few of those out there if only the people who needed them bought them. The posers are what make them profitable. I still maintain that a great solution to a lot of our problems with pollution and oil supplies is to demand vehicles be maintained in some semblance of proper running order. A cheap fair smog test required for license renewal would make a lot more useful move than trying to convince the nouveau riche they don't need an Expedition for three people and a dog.
Seems like each year,N.Texas adds another county which is a non-attainment area for Clean Air Act standards and must begin annual emissions testing.
With freeway-stopping wrecks everyday and gridlock as far as the eye can see,they continue to develop rural areas,soon overwhelming the 2-lane highways,after which they recoil in horror,exclaiming that they have a traffic problem.
All done with government approval,fees,taxes of course!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
My 4x4 Subaru had 5.9" of ground clearance and 30mpg on a good day. It never got stuck, but then, neither has the Insight with its 5.9" of ground clearance and good winter / summer tires.

If you get stuck all the time in your Civic, despite your dedicated snow tires, then I'll give you a pass to buy an Outback or a Ford Five Hundred, or some other 4x4 tallwagon. But even for 99% of northlanders, a regular car with appropriate tires will do just fine.
the aero stuff happens in an environment where machinery is not challenged. like flip flops on peoples feet to boots all year round in maine.

To explain a 6.5 liter diesel hummer and 30 mpg would pucker a few cackling feminine guys buttholes wouldn't it?

Speaking of exotics and eccentric. My father witnessed the carnival of gumballers go by his rig at 100mph+.. claimed it shook his truck. How aero is a lamborghini? anybody?

if a vehicle needs aero, the drivetrain is not smart. I will defend my own statement until wind knocks me down dead.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
[/B]

Picked up a magazine lately?

Unfortunately, people do give a rat's patootie what others are doing/driving/eating/taking home/sleeping with, etc. It's got a name - Keeping up with the Jones'.
Maybe that's true for neighbors, but out on the street, who knows who is in what vehicle anyway?

Reply  Post New Thread