EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   crx gas mileage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/crx-gas-mileage-21377.html)

mikehallbackhoe 04-09-2012 09:02 PM

crx gas mileage

I am on my third fillup, 1st tank was 48 mpg, put the right size tires , and aired them up to 44 psi, 2nd tank 51.3 mpg. built a partial upper grill block, aired tires to 50 psi. 3rd tank 57.3 mpg. I keep the speed down to 55mph and under, try to keep rpm @2000, and eoc when ever I can. was hoping to hit 55 mpg, but now my goal is 60 mpg :D

cbaber 04-09-2012 09:14 PM

What year and trim CRX? I am assumming its 2nd gen CRX HF with those numbers. Really impressive! To keep track of the numbers and so you can brag about them, try adding your car to the Garage. And while you are there join team Honda.

mikehallbackhoe 04-09-2012 09:49 PM

1st generation carbureted, 1300 cc crx. 1984 model. I believe they only made this model 1 year. I looked at the garage, but I am not going to name my car, and that was a requirement.

cbaber 04-09-2012 10:07 PM

You don't need a name just type in "Honda CRX" for the name and that will do. The real important thing is your MPG numbers. Allows you as well as others to see what you have done and the results you get.

mikehallbackhoe 04-09-2012 11:30 PM

thanks, I went ahead and signed up for the garage. it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be

larrybuck 04-09-2012 11:41 PM

I'm glad you are doing so well!!! APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ecky 04-10-2012 09:08 AM

Very nice! Considered adding aftermarket fuel injection to it?

Ryland 04-10-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 299492)
Very nice! Considered adding aftermarket fuel injection to it?

To do that he would have to get rid of the CVCC head as the spark plug on that head is not in the regular combustion chamber so they don't work well with fuel injection, the CVCC head and 3 barrel carburetor is match that easily allows lean burn.
I think the 1.3L also has an o2 sensor that gives feed back to the carburetor so I'm not sure if fuel injection would give any improvement other then more peek horse power.

wxxyz 04-12-2012 09:44 AM

Thanks for sharing! Do you have any pictures of the partial upper grill block? How did you make it?

And do you have any engine mods? Did you lean the carburetor at all?

mikehallbackhoe 04-12-2012 10:58 AM

I don't have a way to take pictures, but what I did was take a piece of clear plastic, 7"x 18" and rest it on the bumper. the crx had two holes where an emblem must have been on the front. I used two screws to hold it in place. this gave it a nice slope also. recently replaced that piece of plastic with a piece that goes all the way across and covers the lights. I used 4 screws to mount it, and then used a clear high tech sealant all the way around it to seal it. looking forward to see if it improves my mpg.
I haven't done any engine mods other than advancing the timing a little. the carburetor on these engines are pretty complicated, so I haven't messed with it.