Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
The International Energy Agency proposes 10 ways to reduce global oil demand as gas prices rise

The International Energy Agency proposes 10 ways to reduce global oil demand as gas prices rise

https://www.chamberlainsun.com/the-i...s-prices-rise/

Quote:
Most of the world’s developed economies are members of the International Energy Agency, including the United States, Japan, Germany and France. China and India are considered “federation states” but they do not have voting privileges.

In that Transfer The International Energy Agency says that “emergency measures” must be taken now to reduce fossil fuel use, and argues that if the world’s advanced economies “fully” implement its recommendations, oil demand could be reduced by 2.7 billion barrels within four months. The organization says that this amount is enough to fuel each car in China.
Why did they choose China 🇨🇳...???

Quote:
“The member states of the International Energy Agency have already stepped in to support worldwide With an initial release of millions of barrels of emergency oil stocks, but we can also take action on demand to avoid the risks of a disruptive oil crisis,” Dr. Birol continued. Our “10 Point Plan” shows that this can be done with measures that have already been tested and proven in multiple countries.

Here are the actions required by the plan:

1. Reduce highway speed limits by at least 10 kilometers per hour, roughly 6 miles per hour.

2. Work from home up to three days a week if possible.

3. Banning the use of private cars on Sundays in major cities.

4. Lower the price of public transportation while encouraging walking and cycling to destinations.

5. Banning the use of private cars on certain days of the week in major cities.

6. Incentivizing car sharing.

7. Promote efficient driving of freight trucks.

8. Use high-speed and night trains instead of planes where possible.

9. Avoid air travel for business as there are alternative options.

10. Promote adoption Electrician and more efficient vehicles

At the end of the article they added this almost as a afterthought...

Quote:
The International Energy Agency has also acknowledged that an increase in oil supply and a suspension of gas taxes will help lower prices at the pump.
🤔

acknowledged

It should have said “ignored”...

The Globalist’s are fully aware that this will cause great harm to society.

It’s part of their agenda...

Educate yourself.

The Great Reset is upon us...

😐

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
"Do as I say, not as I do."?

Old 03-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

Why did they choose China 🇨🇳...???

Credit to your source, at least they linked the source document but they took it for granted you wouldn't actually read it.

The actual statement in the press release:

Quote:
"If fully carried out in advanced economies, the measures recommended by the IEA’s new 10-Point Plan to Cut Oil Use would lower oil demand by 2.7 million barrels a day within four months – equivalent to the oil demand of all the cars in China. This would significantly reduce potential strains at a time when a large amount of Russian supplies may no longer reach the market and the peak demand season of July and August is approaching. The measures would have an even greater effect if adopted in part or in full in emerging economies as well."
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

At the end of the article they added this almost as a afterthought...

Quote:
"The International Energy Agency has also acknowledged that an increase in oil supply and a suspension of gas taxes will help lower prices at the pump.
Not an afterthought. Just not something that can increase supply in a couple of months. From the report:

Quote:
Such measures, however, do not address the broader strains affecting the market. One way to do so is to increase supply. Spare capacity is available in some major producers outside Russia, but the disappointing outcome of recent OPEC+ discussions suggests limited willingness to provide immediate relief to the market. IEA member countries, as part of their collective response, unanimously agreed this month to draw on emergency stocks for an initial release of 62.7 million barrels, the largest stock release in IEA history. New oil production projects could increase liquidity in the market in the medium term but would not be able to ease the current strains. The oil industry’s stocks typically help balance the market when demand outweighs supply. But even before Russia’s invasion, the industry’s oil inventories were depleting rapidly. At the end of January, inventories in advanced economies were 335 million barrels below their five-year average and at eight-year lows.

As always the best material is the actual source material. It is here and not a long read.

Press Release:
https://www.iea.org/news/emergency-m...-supply-crunch

Actual Report:
https://www.iea.org/reports/a-10-poi...to-cut-oil-use
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-23-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Banning the use of private cars is ridiculous, even though some incentives to the usage of higher-efficiency vehicles (motorcycles too) would be welcome. There are some cities in Brazil where at least one major avenue (or a stretch) gets closed to traffic on Sundays, such as the Avenida Paulista in São Paulo, with the side-effect of rendering the access to many hospitals within the area more complicated. Other traffic restrictions enforced at some jurisdictions are also noteworthy, such as the plate-based Hoy No Circula days in Mexico City or the RodÃ*zio in São Paulo, yet at least in São Paulo many people would either buy another car (often older and more polluting) or a motorcycle (which are exempted of the RodÃ*zio by default).

When it comes to China, besides the huge mistake which was teaching the state-owned Chinese automakers how to make modern FWD cars instead of leaving them to sort it out by themselves, it's also worth to remember how the Chinese dumping ruined the industrial output of other poor countries, not only in Asia but also in Latin America, Africa and Middle East.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I haven’t driven any of my cars in 3 weeks due to unfortunate circumstances and lack of repair parts, technicians, a place to legally fix my own car and a lack of acceptable cars for sale.

So I did my part, though admittedly I don’t use much fuel to start with

I have also used the opportunity to learn something I already knew, everything I need is in walking distance though the stuff I would like to do on the weekends is not.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
1 I drive as fast as I want I can afford the tickets.
2 Nope, I have a real job.
3 I live in a county where cows out number people.
4 couldn't pay me to use use public transportation, plus non existent here.
5 see number 3.
6 no I might leave my gun under the seat.
7 k
8 no, I see the never ending light rail project money pit in California. Of course stupid democrats would love to expand and multiple that failure to everywhere.
9 yeah I'll just take a slow passenger boat that doesnt exist across the big water. Fail.
10 yes, every electric vehicle sold in the US is about 400 more gallons of gasoline we can export per year. That's how you Make America great again.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 03-23-2022 at 02:41 AM..
Old 03-22-2022, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

1-10. [A wish list that contains a call to action from government, business and sovereign individuals]

Beware the low-flying pigs.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
How about the relatively high price of petrol being the motivation for people to innovate how they can be more frugal with its use?

All these Great Leader geniuses try to outwit structures that already efficiently incentivize people to conserve.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-23-2022, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Funny how #5 was #3, just not necessarily Sunday.

I have only used ride sharing when every other option failed me.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[post in search of an appropriate thread]

Story on Hacker News an hour ago: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30780455

Quote:
Launch HN: Charge Robotics (YC S21) - Robots that build solar farms
17 points by justicz 1 hour ago | hide | past | favorite | 10 comments
Hi HN! We are Banks Hunter and Max Justicz, founders of Charge Robotics. We make robots to automate the most labor-intensive parts of solar construction.
We just got back from our first demo on a 150MW solar construction site in Iowa, where we showed off our initial prototype: an autonomous forklift that unloads pallets of solar modules from a truck and stages them around the site. It’s a huge milestone for us, and we felt like now would be a good time to share what we’re working on more publicly. You can see a couple videos of our robot in action here:

Staging modules on the site in Iowa: https://youtu.be/Fwf4v8upuoI

Performing a two-pallet sliding and unloading operation in our warehouse: https://youtu.be/EOJiyMXpVeQ

As solar modules have become commoditized and prices have plummeted, solar has become the cheapest form of power generation in many regions. Demand has skyrocketed, and now the primary barrier to getting it installed is labor logistics and bandwidth...

Utility-scale solar farms (2MW+) are mechanically quite simple. They feature a steel racking system held to the ground by vertical posts ("piles"), and overwhelmingly (90%+) feature a single motorized axis to track the sun over the course of the day. Modules are then fastened to this axis with brackets.

We're using a two-part robotic system to build this racking structure...
edit: So I watched the videos, they're both of the reach lift [operating as a drone?]

The shipping container sized assembler is not shown.

Quote:
We're using a two-part robotic system to build this racking structure. First, a portable robotic factory placed on-site assembles sections of racking hardware and solar modules. This factory fits inside a shipping container. Robotic arms pick up solar modules from a stack and fasten them to a long metal tube (the "torque tube"). Second, autonomous delivery vehicles distribute these assembled sections into the field and fasten them in place onto target destination piles.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-23-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread