Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
NeilBlanchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Posts: 7,874

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,390
Thanked 2,885 Times in 1,813 Posts
The other option that actually makes a lot of sense, would be using electric trains for most / all the long hauls, and then use electric trucks to get stuff to and from the train stations.

__________________
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Inductive charging under the highway will never happen. It's way too costly.
Not just costly because it'd be expensive to install & maintain, but expensive because it's an inefficient way of transferring electric power.

Then there's another question that comes to mind: is there even enough copper in the world to put induction coils under every road?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Not just costly because it'd be expensive to install & maintain, but expensive because it's an inefficient way of transferring electric power.

Then there's another question that comes to mind: is there even enough copper in the world to put induction coils under every road?
History shows us that they had enough copper to lay LOT's of under-sea telegraph cables across ALL the oceans back in the early 1900's, so I wouldn't worry about the Gooberment demanding that we give up all our Penny's to be melted down for highway electrification (wink,wink).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,648
Thanks: 0
Thanked 952 Times in 842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The other option that actually makes a lot of sense, would be using electric trains for most / all the long hauls, and then use electric trucks to get stuff to and from the train stations.
Even though it may eventually not fully replace the big rigs for long-distance hauling, especially in regions where the terrain conditions would not be favorable to the installation of railways, I am favorable to a more frequent usage of trains whenever possible. It does bother me, for example, not being able to travel by train in my home country, where most railways are now used for cargo only (but are also not an effective replacement for trucking).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
History shows us that they had enough copper to lay LOT's of under-sea telegraph cables across ALL the oceans back in the early 1900's...
There are a lot more miles of road than there are of undersea cable. Furthermore, if you want to do inductive charging, you can't do it off one skinny little wire, you need large coils of it. Ever take apart even a small transformer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,345

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 358
Thanked 672 Times in 503 Posts
Missed this one but I actually think this is likely a more important announcement than TSLAs
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker
 
seifrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Czechoslovakia (sort of), Europe
Posts: 327

DŠčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Thanks: 125
Thanked 177 Times in 77 Posts
  1. Cummins managed to make it look like a truck. Good for traditionally oriented minds
  2. I wonder if they plan to sell "powerpacks" of hybrid drives in envelope (mounting points, intakes, etc) of their current engines. It would be cool to keep the truck and change just powerpack.
  3. Tesla is still miles ahead because they offer whole "ecology" - you drive Tesla car, you charge at Tesla charger, you will probably sleep at Tesla Motel near charging station. They already have the infrastructure, so they obliterated the worst enemy of adoption.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,345

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 358
Thanked 672 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
[*]Tesla is still miles ahead because they offer whole "ecology" - you drive Tesla car, you charge at Tesla charger, you will probably sleep at Tesla Motel near charging station. They already have the infrastructure, so they obliterated the worst enemy of adoption.[/LIST]
Not really, Cummins knows their customer, the TSLA offering does not address any market demands, their design looks like it was done in a vacuum without looking at how a semi is used.

The infrastructure required on a 1200 KWHR semi does not exist, supercharging that size pack is not feasible over the road.

The Cummings offering is much more feasible and could actually be built, sold and used for its intended purpose going between dry docks and moving local loads.
the TSLA offering well really canít , as designed it wouldnít be drivable between dry dock and depot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
roflwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,490

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Not really, Cummins knows their customer, the TSLA offering does not address any market demands, their design looks like it was done in a vacuum without looking at how a semi is used.

The infrastructure required on a 1200 KWHR semi does not exist, supercharging that size pack is not feasible over the road.

The Cummings offering is much more feasible and could actually be built, sold and used for its intended purpose going between dry docks and moving local loads.
the TSLA offering well really canít , as designed it wouldnít be drivable between dry dock and depot.
Why isn't ~1000kWh semi feasible (I think it's closer to 900kWh, but YMMV and all that)? The megacharger appears to have 8 power connectors and one big ground, which suggests 8 separate packs, at least from the POV of charging.

Tesla already has 40 stall supercharger locations, so a Megacharger with 5 stations seems to be in line with what they're already building.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,345

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 358
Thanked 672 Times in 503 Posts
Itís not that the pack isnít feasible, chargeable on long distance trips is not reasonable

TSLAs design is undrivable by a human, all of our trucks today have cameras but the truck operator has to be able to communicate with ground staff and physically look out the window and behind the truck for clearance when backing into docks, large blocks and other obstacles are littered all over that the driver has to thread the kneedle with his trailer.

In other words the camera is nice but does not stop the driver from having to look with his own eyes.

The TSLA design will have to change to be even usable and drivable

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com