Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Custom bike sprockets

I'm about to assemble the electric motorcycle I have and about to mount the motor. Next step is the sprockets. I'm going with a 5:1 ratio, so I need a 70 tooth rear sprocket. I'm having a hard time finding vendors who offer 70 teeth for a 1996 Honda CBR 600 F3. Does anyone know of any vendors who make 70 tooth sprockets for motorcycles? What prices should I be looking at?

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
razor02097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Posts: 306

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
IIRC stock for a CBR F3 is 14/43. I know you can get a 13T front and 46T rear in the aftermarket but I don't think you will get a 70 tooth even going custom.

Your best bet would be to try to find a place that sells stunt bike parts. Typically that niche market isn't concerned about speed but power to do their tricks...Which is promising for what you need.
__________________



Project Avalon: E bike build
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
IIRC stock for a CBR F3 is 14/43. I know you can get a 13T front and 46T rear in the aftermarket but I don't think you will get a 70 tooth even going custom.

Your best bet would be to try to find a place that sells stunt bike parts. Typically that niche market isn't concerned about speed but power to do their tricks...Which is promising for what you need.
It's for an electric motorcycle, so nothing is stock anymore. I found one vendor (actually it's my friend's dad's place) that has sprockets up in the 70 tooth range, but they're asking $125 for the anodized aluminum sprockets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France - Paris
Posts: 762

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 188
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
specific tooling investment divided on very small batches of parts = high selling price, that is just fair.

It's either 125$ sprocket (and chain to the meter obviously) or you could engineer a twin reduction setup based on standard sprockets.
Standard front sprockets drive standard rear sprocket that drives standart front sprocket that drives standard rear sprocket.
All in all, you end up with a setup that might be more expensive to start with (but a fair bit less on the long run).

I'd go for the 125$ custom sprocket ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 303

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 71 Times in 46 Posts
electricmotorsport.com makes custom sprockets. if I remember correctly they are about $100.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
specific tooling investment divided on very small batches of parts = high selling price, that is just fair.

It's either 125$ sprocket (and chain to the meter obviously) or you could engineer a twin reduction setup based on standard sprockets.
Standard front sprockets drive standard rear sprocket that drives standart front sprocket that drives standard rear sprocket.
All in all, you end up with a setup that might be more expensive to start with (but a fair bit less on the long run).

I'd go for the 125$ custom sprocket ...
So $125 is the going price for custom sprockets? I didn't know if that was high or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
greenjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 46
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Rebel Gears in Crossville TN will make sprockets up to 96t. REBEL GEARS CUSTOM MADE MOTORCYCLE SPROCKETS ANY SIZE
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjoe View Post
Rebel Gears in Crossville TN will make sprockets up to 96t. REBEL GEARS CUSTOM MADE MOTORCYCLE SPROCKETS ANY SIZE
Most custom sprocket places I'm finding ask for measurements and bolt patterns. I don't have the proper measuring tools, except a tape measure. Off hand do any of you know of a database that hosts sprocket measurements and dimensions? Sort of like those websites that sell tires and rims and they have all of the OEM information.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France - Paris
Posts: 762

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 188
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
if you know the donor bike, visit The UK, there is a pic of bolting pattern for each sprocket
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France - Paris
Posts: 762

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 188
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Also, I would really appreciate a link to the build diary of your EV conversion !

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com