Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just look at the Prius and other hybrids, which imitate a CVT. I have already wondered why they tend to not feature some gear emulator, even though it may seem quite obvious due to their purpose not being some spirited driving.
I'm really glad they don't. I wasn't big on the whole e-CVT thing when I bought my Prius, or CVTs in general, but making fake shift points would ruin it even more. Their flexibility is the whole point; looking at the Scangauge, engine RPM is constantly fluctuating even on steady-state highway drives.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's why my stepmother's eldest son didn't really wanted another car with a CVT. He claimed the car felt quite "lazy" because it kept RPM constant.
This is why automakers have started making CVTs imitate geared transmissions. People are used to hearing RPMs rise and fail as the car shifts through gears. When the CVT jumps to peak torque and holds there it sound funny to them and it sounds like they are revving the engine to death.

I had a 2019 Nissan Altima as a rental last month. 2.5L DI with a CVT that imitates as gearbox. It returned 41.5 mpg. Not bad for a car with less than 10 miles on the odometer and considering I climbed over a mountain range twice.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CVTs paired with a torque converter, makes for one great experience in start-stop traffic.

If your car is dog slow with a CVT, it will be even slower with a manual transmission; as usually the CVT tries to hit Torque or HP peak power when accelerating (accelerating at a constant peak of the engine's output).
Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
lisamathew21

oscilloscope software

List of best pc Oscilloscope software for laboratory instrument and analyze the waveform of electronic signals. compare price and Get Demo Free.

Reply  Post New Thread