Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think I finally made some major progress. As a test I removed the screw from the side of the throttle body (the one that keeps it from closing completely and getting stuck), which dropped the idle TPS reading from 9% to 8%. Drove the car 50 miles today with a consistently perfect coasting idle (a stable 800 ish RPM), which is a first. Time will tell if it's actually fixed, but so far the results seem quite encouraging.

Now the problem is that the gas pedal is quite hard to push since the throttle is now closing all the way and sort of getting stuck closed then opening rather suddenly once the resistance is overcome. That makes for less than smooth takeoff and acceleration. If the idle is still normal after a few more days of driving, I will see if I can insert the screw just enough to keep the throttle from getting stuck.

If that doesn't work, I will try readjusting the TPS to read 8% with the screw holding the throttle open just enough to not get stuck instead of 9%. 8-9% at idle is normal for these cars, but I know from experience that a reading of 10% or more at idle is a problem.

Perhaps lightly coating the sides of the throttle butterfly with some type of lubricant such as grease or anti seize may help keep it from getting stuck closed too, we will see.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread