Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A quick P.S. to further lighten up the un-civil war: I have a question for you all.

When you do choose to be driving w your windows down at any level or speed, do you exactly equalize windlevels, or do you mostly attend to only the driver's side?

Here's a weird one: You are going down the interstate, you don't have AC or manual vents , or vent windows; no slider either; and it is pretty warm out. You can tell by watching wheat fields that the wind is blowing toward you at a 45degree from your right.

Would you most likely have both windows all the way down?

Equalized at some other level?

Mostly right side down for big entry, left side barely down as exhaust?

Right side down only, want to relish the blast like a hog in a tornado?
(do you have any idea how much fun I'm having here?)

Are any of the above habits drastically changed when other people, and or family is with you?

In all seriousness; being single, driving 99% of time alone; its been my habit for a long time to equalize both windows at any level. Its sort of a MR. MONK (tv charactor) thing I can't seem to shake... I feel like because of the forward motion, the air pressure should be as equal all around the car for happy airflow!

As of yet, I haven't altered for side winds because: A- I don't live in an area where I ever see side winds much....B- when on a trip where it does that, I hadn't thought of altering windows for side winds until now... will I be able to sleep tonight wondering how much difference it might make??????

Laugh if you like; but in my CRX w no vent windows, no slider, I love my from behind 2 speed fan w up to 4" max equal drop of both windows!
E

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
I have crank windows, so the driver's side one is the only one I can really adjust om the fly. Like I said earlier, if it's hot I usually have the window down an inch or so--just enough the get some fresh air blowing over my face. In pure theory,you might be right about "balancing" with both windows. but I've got a vehicle that weighs over 3 tons, so I really don't think it matter for me

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
If it's warm, I'll open my window a bit.
If it's hot, I'll also open the one behind it an equal amount
If it's Texas Hot (tm), I open mine about 1/2 and both rears 1/4.

I do consider the wind. If there's a strong wind from the left side I'll close those windows some and open the right side more. I figure there's less to lose on the downwind side. The relative levels of wind noise seem to confirm this.

I have hand-crank windows but also a small (ish) car and I can reach all the cranks from my seat.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
Lots of newer cars are not designed to have the rear windows rolled down (IMO). I get a very low rumble (<100Hz) with the rear windows down. It is very loud. I've noticed this on many rental cars I've gotten on buisness trips. Energy to make this noise has to come from somewhere (aero drag). Haven't seen this problem on the front windows. Sometimes one rear window or both or noise goes away if one of the fronts is open. It's different on each vehicle but they all seem to have this rumble with some combination. (I like to play with the window buttons on the rentals since all my personal vehicles still have the crank)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I leave my windows UP and the vent on HIGH--but the A/C off--until the outside air temperature passes 90ºF, then I cave-in and switch on the A/C.

...with the A/C on, I aim the two closest vents at me, and shut-down the other two dash vents completely and run the A/C on the lowest speed setting that's acceptable...which usually consists of gradually stepping down from HIGH, to MED to LOW speeds.

...the above is with just ME in the car, with the wife riding along, it's A/C on HIGH all the time or else! (ugh)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
I tune the windows to keep me OK if I am alone and minimize noise. But if the humidity makes it uncomfortable (80-100F,) I go on recirculate and the warmest A/C setting consistent with an alert 'Bob the Driver.' I'll also switch to faster route with fewer stops.

Occasionally we have severe windshield fogging so I'll button up for a short blast of A/C to dry it out and then turn off the compressor and recirculate the now dryer air. Once the windshield fogging conditions are past, windows down.

When I have a passenger, "she who must be obeyed."

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-01-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I'm not talking about the elderly, or hospitals not designed for some measure of natural cooling, or about locking kids/animals in an oven. I'm not talking about removing AC in life threatening situations either.

I am questioning how in 40 ish years (long after roofs were discovered) americans seem to have lost their ability to cope with heat. There are even larger swaths on the planet that don't even have electricity, I'm not buying it as a necessity in general. Should we issue AC stamps with our food stamps if it is a requirement for life as you would describe it? Right up there with food water and shelter apparently.

I'm not buying into it. Maybe folks should read up on heat acclimation? Heat Acclimation for Runners: A Coach’s Analysis I appreciate the comfort factor and social pressures to not sweat, but that isn't natural.
Individual coping ability is beside the point. Takes very little to restrict anyones ability to deal with heat, including yours. It is not otherwise remedied except by A/C assuming one wishes to remain part of society and not restricted in ones movements. You want to continue in obtuseness have at it. If you think Americans don't die prematurely due to lack of A/C -- sometimes generally, and sometimes specifically -- I suppose I should feel sorry for you. It is willful ignorance on your part, so I see no reason. Grow a pair and educate yourself. Restriction on activities is the very first problem of high heat.

Americans haven't lost any heat-coping ability. They simply didn't live in the South in any great numbers prior to the advent of central A/C. Maybe you should be the one to do reading on the urban heat island effect since then. You don't want A/C, fine, but it is still a necessary component of determing weather effects on data in the same manner as using a heater changes winter car use. Leaving it out is the point. It won't work for purposes of comparison.

Reply  Post New Thread