Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think "ICE augmented EV" is the best description. I want to be able to cruise at highway speeds (not necessarily very high speeds but a good cruising speed for cross country type driving), while also accelerate very well. The car will be used mostly for highway cruising with only the occasional pass at the drag strip.

I'm not trying to make a completely new system, or the "best" anything. I just want a quick car that gets decent mileage (for a muscle car). I have seriously considered putting a diesel in it and being done with it...I still like that idea very much, but I like the hybrid/ev idea better, mostly because it's something I haven't done before and still has the potential for better performance...acceleration-wise and mileage-wise. We'll see.

I'm back to the drawing board due to my boneheaded mistake, but at least now I need WAY less motor to meet my performance goals! Something like a Warp 11 will probably do it just fine.

Mort, I was trying to describe using 2 of the AC motors I'd mentioned in the regen mode...but being turned by a small diesel engine instead of coasting the car. Basically a diesel-generator setup using the same AC motors for generators that I was thinking of using for motive power. Does that make better sense?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Little Red Express - '98 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
90 day: 42.74 mpg (US)

Montanavan - '01 Pontiac Montana ext LWB -3/4 loaded
90 day: 20.04 mpg (US)

Burban - '86 GMC Suburban Sierra Classic
90 day: 16.84 mpg (US)

BurgundyBullet - '01 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)

Vibe-rator - '06 Pontiac Vibe AWD
90 day: 25.19 mpg (US)
Thumbs up just support .

Hey sounds like a great project , I am coming into the discussion alittle late but what the hay . I to am interested in performing a similar mod to classic cars , I have a couple that would be more fun if they were "economical" . If you do a little research and have decent mechanical skills , it is not rocket science , but for pure simplicity the right diesel would be fairly easy , or pure E.V. but range becomes an issue ..... so hybrid it is . the V.W. 1.9l diesel is a great option , or a diesel out of a Jeep Liberty...... I may stay just Diesel or maybe propane . good luck , to you , go search some of the homebuilt E.V. sites and pages

I will check back in a few days cheers
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix70charger View Post
I think "ICE augmented EV" is the best description. I want to be able to cruise at highway speeds (not necessarily very high speeds but a good cruising speed for cross country type driving), while also accelerate very well. Does that make better sense?
If you do something like this you need to decide on
1. Cost
2. Weight
3. Combined HP

I would guess for weight a 1.9tdi, a 1.2TDI or any of the antique non-turbo VW motors would be fine, even an Olds 6 banger (inline or V) 4.3ltr diesel would be fine and reliable (5.7s were not). The Isuzu diesel found in Chevettes is also an excellent choice for pure economy. If weight is critical a forklift or industrial diesel may be on order.

If weight is less of an issue the 6.2 or a 6.5 modded for fuel economy might work or the Cummins 4bt if weight and price are not an issue.

But if you use any of the above you will need
1. A HD FWD setup like found on the 350v8 front wheel drive vehicles.
2. A direct drive RWD EV setup.

During drags you will have to tie your throttle for the diesel with the EV and use both to take off. (4wd) You will need switches to kill the diesel or the EV portions and add a sensor to your brakes for regen.

You can have a generator on your motor but understand that it will likely kill your FE and not be efficient, better to have a completely separate EV side on a separate drivetrain that you can control regardless of the diesels activity. (think of MIMA that can run when the motor is EOC)

Good Luck
Ryan
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TDI and Ryan, thanks for pointing out the VW 1.9...I'd forgotten how good their little diesels were. I'll look deeper into that one. The 4BT was what I originally though about putting in the car all by itself, but I decided against it (just wasn't what I really wanted to do with the car).
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Little Red Express - '98 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
90 day: 42.74 mpg (US)

Montanavan - '01 Pontiac Montana ext LWB -3/4 loaded
90 day: 20.04 mpg (US)

Burban - '86 GMC Suburban Sierra Classic
90 day: 16.84 mpg (US)

BurgundyBullet - '01 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)

Vibe-rator - '06 Pontiac Vibe AWD
90 day: 25.19 mpg (US)
Talking

The 1.9l TDI's are full of potential and great on fuel , lots of mods available for better power and economy . and would be an easy way to get reasonable driveabilty and 30 plus mpg (my stock jetta gets over 42mpg/not shy on the throttle). But you cant beat an electric motor for torque , so if your set on an E.V. set up just factor into you battery pack/electrical system , a small to medium diesel or propane generator , any just use it to maintain a full charge on battery packs, more of a dedicated E.V set . I too also like the 6.2/6.5t G.M diesels , anything cummins is $$$ and other less popular platforms might be hard to find parts for if something fails on a road trip. if I had the time I would have already converted at least one Firechicken to diesel and I got a Cavalier RS wagon that would be a great E.V. if you have the means make it happen
Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

I think a diesel is just a more expensive option and adds a lot of extra weight, if you live in the USA (where do you live?), diesel fuel isn't cheap, unlike some other countries that have subsidies that lower its cost less than gasoline.

If you just want a high-performance car that gets good gas mileage, then you might consider using a small engine for highway use, and then a second one for acceleration. This is something we talked about before, instead of de-activating cylinders, use two engines, a small 3 or 4-cylinder (hey, why not a geo metro 1.0L, very light), and then a v6 turbo for max power that is shutoff doing highway cruise. A charger is a big car has lots of room in the engine bay or in the trunk area for a second engine.

This is inexpensive, as such motors are everywhere for almost free, it is just the engineering time to build them into your car. What budget do you have for the project?

Reply  Post New Thread