Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dirt cheap van conversion to an aerodynamic RV that looks like a million bucks!..idea

I think the picture speaks for itself.

What do you guys think, its a Toyota Previa pickup conversion, transformed into a RV camper.
The trailer end would swivel and when stationary, the trailer extends (on skate rollers like a shuttle port) to the van section, making for a long continuous space.

*Some of my past Tiny house and RV ideas.

Tiny house shed 3D model

Tiny house and RV combo
https://vimeo.com/66554366
http://i.imgur.com/9MLKmc5.jpg

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2015, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
'Dirt cheap' and 'million bucks' both seem to miss the mark. I'd take an average.

"The devil is in the details."

The trailer appears to be about 8ft long. The tandem axle looks like it needs some rear overhang.

What's the height of the pivot point? Draw a line at 10° from the rear tire, and raise the trailer to clear. Any conflicts?

I'd make an intermediate [hemispherical?] body that swivels on the van floor and has pivots higher up for the trailer. Unless your taking it rock crawling you could ignore the roll axis and let the suspension take that up.

What's the purpose of the windshield and mirrors facing backward on the rear of the trailer? That works against the aerodynamics.

Something like this might work. It doesn't increase the frontal area.
________

In the Vimeo video you have a heavy duty flatbed trailer supporting what should be a very stiff monocoque shell. Just put the wheels on that.
________

Please don't think I'm bashing this. I admire your enthusiasm. And the Previa. Too bad Toyota didn't make it with AWD and the turbo and the five speed. That would be sweet. Canada got the optional tachometer, right?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
If I would ever consider to turn a 1st-gen Previa into a campervan, I'd consider to fit it with a pop-up top and to fit an expandable section in the place of the rear hatch and a smaller one in the place of the sliding door. The useful space increasement from the smaller expandable section in the sliding door's spot might seem negligible at first, but a galley/kitchen could be mounted there.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

How do you figure this is dirt cheap??

I've been thinking of using a Prius to tow a custom 5th wheel trailer.
Lots of advantages, generator built-in, fuel efficient toad car, and great MPG.
The problems to solve are the lack of towing torque, and the load capacity of the rear wheels, both with fairly simple solutions. Not dirt cheap solutions.

Dirt cheap is towing a tent trailer. Problem with tents is rain and wind.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
'Dirt cheap' and 'million bucks' both seem to miss the mark. I'd take an average.

"The devil is in the details."

The trailer appears to be about 8ft long. The tandem axle looks like it needs some rear overhang.
The Previa is 15 and a half feet long... and yes comparing it in photoshop the bulk length is ~8 feet but the total is the same as the van at 15 feet. Keeping it short and parking in two car spaces in the heart of downtown is an option I really favor.

Quote:
'What's the height of the pivot point? Draw a line at 10° from the rear tire, and raise the trailer to clear. Any conflicts?
The inside of these van are nice and flat.. so I would imagine just bolting on an adapter and possibly needing to readjust the gas nozzle if I need to cut close down to the wheel hubs. The lower to the floor, the more interior space in the trailer Im thinking. I dont know the height... but I wonder how much more a custom "gooseneck" will be to an average new $1700 trailer.

miscellaneous Previa

adapter
Turnover Ball - Companion 5th Wheel - Towing - Install - RV Magazine

Quote:
I'd make an intermediate [hemispherical?] body that swivels on the van floor and has pivots higher up for the trailer. Unless your taking it rock crawling you could ignore the roll axis and let the suspension take that up.
Maybe you mean something like this... in the future, in a few years, I'll need to find the most economical parts and best setups for paved driving.

Quote:
What's the purpose of the windshield and mirrors facing backward on the rear of the trailer? That works against the aerodynamics.
I really like the GMC Pad concept and would like to model the trailer like that.

Heres a model of one but I cant find it online... I think it may have been ripped from a video game Called Mafia Wars... supposedly called the "Tax Shelter" which is very fitting seeing how this kind of tiny house can help one get out of the rat race.

The modelling looks low quality actually

Quote:
________

In the Vimeo video you have a heavy duty flatbed trailer supporting what should be a very stiff monocoque shell. Just put the wheels on that.
That CNC tiny house wrapped in plastic sheets is made of plywood which isnt made for structural forces pulling on it like supporting a wheel well. The house actually uses a peg construction design system and all it would take on the road is some kind of pot hole to crack or dislodge possibly.
________

Quote:
Please don't think I'm bashing this. I admire your enthusiasm. And the Previa. Too bad Toyota didn't make it with AWD and the turbo and the five speed. That would be sweet. Canada got the optional tachometer, right?
Oh no I very welcome constructive criticism and your feed back has been a learning experience, thanks.
I dont know about the tach option in Canada but I specially favor the huge mid section sunroof available in some models.
Aerodynamic egg shaped car, mid engine, rear wheel drive... these basic options alone make this car epic.

Last edited by Arashi; 09-10-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
How do you figure this is dirt cheap??

I've been thinking of using a Prius to tow a custom 5th wheel trailer.
Lots of advantages, generator built-in, fuel efficient toad car, and great MPG.
The problems to solve are the lack of towing torque, and the load capacity of the rear wheels, both with fairly simple solutions. Not dirt cheap solutions.

Dirt cheap is towing a tent trailer. Problem with tents is rain and wind.
For housing, this would be a cheap solution with similar methods

but for such a bullet long aerodynamic body in my concept, theres nothing like it short of a million dollars.
Semi working Previa can be found for $500 here... less then the tow adapter cost surely.
Heres one using its rear hatch to seal the end of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
If I would ever consider to turn a 1st-gen Previa into a campervan, I'd consider to fit it with a pop-up top and to fit an expandable section in the place of the rear hatch and a smaller one in the place of the sliding door. The useful space increasement from the smaller expandable section in the sliding door's spot might seem negligible at first, but a galley/kitchen could be mounted there.
Expandable is best! With my trailer though Im looking for a wood honeycomb construction of sort for protection and insulation... it would be hard to achieve but maybe an expandable in the end to overhang.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Very cool project for sure. For the record, awd, manuals and turbo (diesels) were available outside America.

The Japanese market Estima looked all but identical but was about 6" narrower to better deal with city streets.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldtamiyaphile For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe someone here would like to make it before I get my resources and life in order.

I was able to find these similar projects.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Aerodynamic egg shaped car, mid engine, rear wheel drive... these basic options alone make this car epic.
One could say 'Jetsonian'.

I understand now where the roofline comes from. Mafia Wars ripped off GM, not t'uther way round. There are five articles on the Pro Pad that bubble to the top here: https://www.google.com/search?q=gmc+pro+pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.gizmag.com
Dec 7, 2005 - January 7, 2005 General Motors Advanced Design's GMC PAD has won the California Design Challenge at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
If your going to use the lasercut plywood for construction, longitudinal and/or diagonal tension cables would strengthen it. Or interlocking puzzle pieces. Plus a rigid skin.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
I'd make an intermediate [hemispherical?] body that swivels on the van floor and has pivots higher up for the trailer.
Maybe you mean something like this...
More like:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1130603

Thanks for the Vanagon pics. I collect weird VW pictures. But I'd put the 5th wheel on the rear axle line so the trailer doesn't steer the tow vehicle.
________

nimblemotors -- Put a Toyota/Lexus MGR on the trailing axle.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-10-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Reminds me of a "boaterhome".

Reply  Post New Thread