Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Canfly - '89 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 57.49 mpg (US)
Disappointing second tank for Canfly

So after the first tank, which gave me an idea of where I'm starting from. I was really optimistic for the next tank. So after re-reading the hypermilling tips, I found a better route, that I could be annoying to the average driver on. And no one would be around to complain that I cost them a few seconds when they already wasted 20mins in the drive though getting thier morning coffee. I set out with the car performing as expected. So I was doing EOC and P&G and noticing a significant difference in the rate the fuel gauge was dropping. And my second to last stop sign I forgot to let the clutch out before I stopped rolling. And when I went to start it the battery was nearly dead so. I equated this to all my EOC and having the heater on. So I push started it. (Surprisingly easy!)
On my way home I didn't notice anything odd at first. But then the radio started cutting out. Then I had trouble going up a hill it started running rough. Got to the top of the hill and it wouldn't go fast. So I started down shifting and loosing speed. So I pulled over to investigate. I knew the battery was practically dead because the battery warning light was dim. It had been on since I bought it. The guy I bought it from told me it was because the battery was from a truck. I knew this was unlikely but I didn't take the time to check. So after I determined their wasn't any broken wires and the battery connections were good. I push started it and got rolling about 20mph in third that was all it would do. Got about 10miles like this then it wouldn't go anymore. So I called a friend and got them to bring me a battery. Drove the rest of the way home no problem.

So the next day I pulled the alternator to see if I could repair it. Tried resoldering the brushes but that didn't fix it. Now that I understand alternators better, I think it was probably the rectifier. I found a place in the city that sells refurbished ones for $100. So I picked it up and installed it on Wednesday. I also got new sparkplugs and PCV valve. So here was some idling in the driveway associated with the repairs. I drove it to and from college today and I left late so I took the highway and was averaging around 60mph not really conservative. Btw:the limit iz 68mph. And on the way home it was the same story. So I wasn't expecting good milage. Turned out I got 53mpg, which isn't bad. But still disappointed that I didn't do better.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I'd say 53 mpg is pretty good for a car that isn't running quite right. Nice job.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
There is still a lot of room for improvement, not just regarding efficiency-oriented mods. And actually it's impressive that you get such mileage in a car that is not at its best conditions mechanically.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I think with practice and getting to know the car more I'll get better. I actually shifted from 2nd-4th out of muscle memory from the last manual I drove that 3rd was worn out. Made me realize I was getting more comfortable because I wasn't thinking about it so much. Really I have to give credit to the cars design for being so efficient. Being that it's an 89' it was built in Japan and is notably lighter than the following models. I'm hoping to find time this weekend to take out the interior and anything else that I don't need, like the trailer hitch that's still on it.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

3rd Tanks a charm :)

YAY! No breakdowns or running late == Good mileage

This last fill I managed 57.2MPG right in the top 10 range like I was hoping! I didn't have any breakdowns or rushed trips. so I took the slow/less traveled, route to Collage and did plenty of P&G and EOC. I like this route because the view is great and I almost never have someone behind me. I get over taken maybe twice each way. It's a lonely road.

Now I just have to keep modding so I can bring my average up, and not sleep in

Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Situational awareness is one of the keys to predict the effects of other drivers' actions and to find ways to decrease their effect over your mileage.

Reply  Post New Thread