EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Discussion thread for: Michelin "Tweel" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/discussion-thread-michelin-tweel-7368.html)

Christ 03-05-2009 12:48 AM

Discussion thread for: Michelin "Tweel"

As the title states, I'd like to get an "at-length" discussion going to ascertain the possible benefits and downfalls of the newest product in development at Michelin's South Carolina plant: the Tweel.

So named for it's odd design, which looks like the lowest profile tire you've ever seen, on a wheel with more spokes than it should have.

If you're not yet familiar with this marvel of the automotive world, I welcome you to click on the picture below, where you will find the first 20 images in a Google Image Search for the term "Tweel".

Ok - so it's not really that new... it's actually going on three years since it started in R&D... so why haven't we seen it yet? I have a feeling we soon will...

http://servicesv2.webmichelin.com/fr...mentCode=49716

cfg83 03-05-2009 01:01 AM

Christ -

This sounds like a thread for CapriRacer. I don't know anything specific. I first read about it here :

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2
Quote:

In 2005, Michelin unveiled their "Tweel" concept - a word made up of the combination of Tyre and Wheel. After decades of riding around on air-filled tyres, Michelin would like to convince us that there is a better way. They're working on a totally air-less tyre. Airless = puncture proof. The Tweel is the creation of Michelin's American technology centre - no doubt working with the sound of the Ford Explorer / Bridgestone Firestone lawsuit still ringing in their ears.
The Tweel is a combined single-piece tyre and wheel combination, hence the name, though it actually begins as an assembly of four pieces bonded together: the hub, a polyurethane spoke section, a "shear band" surrounding the spokes, and the tread band - the rubber layer that wraps around the circumference and touches the road. The Tweel's hub functions just like your everyday wheel right now - a rigid attachment point to the axle. The polyurethane spokes are flexible to help absorb road impacts. These act sort of like the sidewall in a current tyre. But turn a tweel side-on and you can see right through it. The shear band surrounding the spokes effectively takes the place of the air pressure, distributing the load. Finally, the tread is similar in appearance to a conventional tyre. The image on the right is my own rendering based on the teeny tiny images I found from the Michelin press release. It gives you some idea what the new Tweel could look like.
One of the basic shortcomings of a tyre filled with air is that the inflation pressure is distributed equally around the tire, both up and down (vertically) as well as side-to side (laterally). That property keeps the tire round, but it also means that raising the pressure to improve cornering - increasing lateral stiffness - also adds up-down stiffness, making the ride harsher. With the Tweel's injection-molded spokes, those characteristics are no longer linked. Only the spokes toward the bottom of the tyre at any point in its rotation are determining the grip / ride quality. Those spokes rotating around the top of the tyre are free to flex to full extension without affecting the grip or ride quality.
The Tweel offers a number of benefits beyond the obvious attraction of being impervious to nails in the road. The tread will last two to three times as long as today's radial tires, Michelin says, and when it does wear thin it can be retreaded. For manufacturers, the Tweel offers an opportunity to reduce the number of parts, eliminating most of the 23 components of a typical new tire as well as the costly air-pressure monitors now required on all new vehicles in the United States. (See TPMS below).
Another benefit? No spare wheels. That leaves more room for boot/trunk space, and reduces the carried weight in the vehicle.
Reporters who took the change to drive an Audi A4 sedan equipped with Tweels early in 2005 complained of harsh vibration and an overly noisy ride. Michelin are well aware of these shortfalls - mostly due to vibration in the spoke system. (They admit they're in extremely-alpha-test mode.) Another problem is that the wheels transmit a lot more force and vibration into the cabin than regular tyres. A plus point though is cornering ability. Because of the rigidity of the spokes and the lack of a flexing sidewall, cornering grip, response and feel is excellent.
There are other negatives: the flexibility, at this early stage, contributes to greater friction, though it is within 5% of that generated by a conventional radial tyre. And so far, the Tweel is no lighter than the tyre and wheel it replaces. Almost everything else about the Tweel is undetermined at this early stage of development, including serious matters like cost and frivolous questions like the possibilities of chrome-plating. Either way, it's a promising look into the future.
Tweels are being tested out on the iBot - Dean Kamen's (the Segway inventor) new prototype wheelchair, and by the military. The military are interested because the Tweel is incredibly resistant to damage, even caused by explosions. Michelin hope to bring this technology to everyday road car use, construction equipment, and potentially even aircraft tyres.

CarloSW2

Bicycle Bob 03-05-2009 01:39 AM

Ahh, a new picture, this time on a road-builder, not a road-runner. That seems sensible. I think the problems were heat, rolling resistance and noise, but it can be looked up.

Frank Lee 03-05-2009 02:06 AM

Another: Nu-Teck Manufacture of Airless Puncture Proof No Flat Tires

Michelin isn't the first.

Anyway... I think airless would be great when they get them to work. Apparently it's TOO MUCH EFFORT to keep tires full of air? I see way low tires on the street every day.

almightybmw 03-05-2009 02:15 AM

From what I remember reading in a post last summer they are using this on heavy equipment where the short comings aren't noticed as much. There is a company that has taken the tweel design and modified it to a honeycomb pattern. It evens out the pressure and smooths the ride slightly. I can't remember where I read about it though; it was last semester sometime, fall '08. Was either jalopnik, treehugger, or autoblog I read it on.

tasdrouille 03-05-2009 07:46 AM

Looks like you'd have fun keeping it clear of snow so it stays balanced in the winter.

MazdaMatt 03-05-2009 08:14 AM

yeah... not for use in canada... park with a wheel in a driveway groove and it'll be iced THROUGH by morning... I'm sure they could mix the designs and give it a flexible structurally-irrelevent sidewall just for protection from snow and squirrels getting caught in it. Although, as a summer tire in canada, it makes sense - especially with its alleged cornering ability and "cool factor".

A sidewall would also help with the "air blender" that i'm sure ecomodders will point out.

Lasting twice as long means half as many tires in the landfill, too. And since it is injection moulded isntead of many layers of belts, i'm sure it could just be shredded, melted and become new again.

Frank Lee 03-05-2009 08:32 AM

Several years ago we fitted airless tires to the scrapyard bobcat. I never knew what brand they were though. Ride was rough as ****, but no more flats.

dcb 03-05-2009 09:56 AM

needs sidewalls so they don't chew up the air.

Shawn D. 03-05-2009 10:35 AM

Dang, how many times is someone going to "discover" the Tweel and start a discussion about it? This happens on every board I'm on! :p