EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   diy elio rwd enclosed trike ideas (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-elio-rwd-enclosed-trike-ideas-30144.html)

coop8070 10-02-2014 10:59 PM

diy elio rwd enclosed trike ideas

Hello all, I didn't know what forum to post this in. I have a 97 600cc ninja I want to convert to a fully enclosed rwd reverse trike. the first mile of my commute is a gravel road so I have stopped using my ninja on rainy days and I live in Washington. I have no welding experience but have wanted to learn for a long time. I would love some points in the right direction.

stiletto2 10-03-2014 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop8070 (Post 448654)
Hello all, I didn't know what forum to post this in. I have a 97 600cc ninja I want to convert to a fully enclosed rwd reverse trike. the first mile of my commute is a gravel road so I have stopped using my ninja on rainy days and I live in Washington. I have no welding experience but have wanted to learn for a long time. I would love some points in the right direction.

You could try this as something to start with and then improve and add to:
Homebuilt Trike: the Xzilarator

I was thinking about using a Honda Silverwing scooter as the basis for one of these. But it would probably work better for that if it were built slightly reduced in size.

coop8070 10-03-2014 02:47 AM

I like the idea, but I am thinking more like a single seat or front back seating.

elhigh 10-03-2014 09:13 AM

Tandem seating will allow you to really reduce your frontal area.

Something more along the lines of the Riley Tri-Magnum, I think, would suit the performance potential of the Ninja, but it's a bit on the heavy side for such a modest drivetrain. It's not that I think the engine isn't up to the task, I'm sure it is. But it might cook the clutch in short order.

Grant-53 10-04-2014 02:29 PM

There are a number of designs out there. The Ridley is a proven design using VW front end. The weight comes from the front axle and the welded frame. A composite Aluminum honeycomb frame would be lighter and not require welding. The foam and fiberglass body could be replaced by a skin of 0.060" ABS. There are a number of paper model plans that could be adapted.
For just an all weather single seater, streamline the bike as Vetter did. Add doors and a canopy, windshield wiper, different gearing, and Maxxis dual sport tires.

Grant-53 10-13-2014 06:18 PM

There are several options for canopies. Blue Sky Designs and Zzipper are popular sources.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-18-2015 02:59 PM

Wouldn't you consider another engine for such project? Either a single or a twin would provide a low-end torque output more suitable for a trike.

Hal 05-07-2015 12:37 PM

Look into the California Commuter. It was built in the 1980s as a high mileage project and set some Guinness Records for fuel economy. It's built around a modified Honda S90 engine and is pretty basic, but a good starting point for ideas and development. I bought the designer's instruction book with plans, intending to build it with a few modifications. My commute has changed but I am still considering building an all composite electric version. His website is Doug Malewicki's patented inventions and engineering involvements..

Hersbird 05-07-2015 01:21 PM

I saw one made out of an aluminum unistrut type material. Looked like an erector set. I think that stuff is pricey. I also have thought about going the other way and take a totaled rear ended small fwd car and make it into a trike with tandem seating and a tapered aero body.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-12-2015 12:39 PM

I have already considered to build a single-seating enclosed reverse-trike with a Honda Cub engine.