Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

diy elio rwd enclosed trike ideas

Hello all, I didn't know what forum to post this in. I have a 97 600cc ninja I want to convert to a fully enclosed rwd reverse trike. the first mile of my commute is a gravel road so I have stopped using my ninja on rainy days and I live in Washington. I have no welding experience but have wanted to learn for a long time. I would love some points in the right direction.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop8070 View Post
Hello all, I didn't know what forum to post this in. I have a 97 600cc ninja I want to convert to a fully enclosed rwd reverse trike. the first mile of my commute is a gravel road so I have stopped using my ninja on rainy days and I live in Washington. I have no welding experience but have wanted to learn for a long time. I would love some points in the right direction.
You could try this as something to start with and then improve and add to:
Homebuilt Trike: the Xzilarator

I was thinking about using a Honda Silverwing scooter as the basis for one of these. But it would probably work better for that if it were built slightly reduced in size.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I like the idea, but I am thinking more like a single seat or front back seating.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Tandem seating will allow you to really reduce your frontal area.

Something more along the lines of the Riley Tri-Magnum, I think, would suit the performance potential of the Ninja, but it's a bit on the heavy side for such a modest drivetrain. It's not that I think the engine isn't up to the task, I'm sure it is. But it might cook the clutch in short order.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are a number of designs out there. The Ridley is a proven design using VW front end. The weight comes from the front axle and the welded frame. A composite Aluminum honeycomb frame would be lighter and not require welding. The foam and fiberglass body could be replaced by a skin of 0.060" ABS. There are a number of paper model plans that could be adapted.
For just an all weather single seater, streamline the bike as Vetter did. Add doors and a canopy, windshield wiper, different gearing, and Maxxis dual sport tires.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are several options for canopies. Blue Sky Designs and Zzipper are popular sources.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Wouldn't you consider another engine for such project? Either a single or a twin would provide a low-end torque output more suitable for a trike.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hal
EcoModding Lurker

Look into the California Commuter. It was built in the 1980s as a high mileage project and set some Guinness Records for fuel economy. It's built around a modified Honda S90 engine and is pretty basic, but a good starting point for ideas and development. I bought the designer's instruction book with plans, intending to build it with a few modifications. My commute has changed but I am still considering building an all composite electric version. His website is Doug Malewicki's patented inventions and engineering involvements..
Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I saw one made out of an aluminum unistrut type material. Looked like an erector set. I think that stuff is pricey. I also have thought about going the other way and take a totaled rear ended small fwd car and make it into a trike with tandem seating and a tapered aero body.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I have already considered to build a single-seating enclosed reverse-trike with a Honda Cub engine.

Reply  Post New Thread