Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
the crazy guy in back

Cressy - '90 Toyota Cressida

Pickup - '91 Toyota Pickup base
Send a message via AIM to kamesama980
Is the idea of a scangauge (realtime feedback on driving habits) worth it? If you're patient and use it, yes.

Is an actual Scangauge2 worth it vs other options on the market? The scangauge is 15 year old tech. It was remarkable before smartphones came out but anymore it's comparing a $150 ax to a $40 5-axis CNC (BT dongle + torque). It's mind-boggling to me that it hasn't changed in 10+ years, so many other options, and is still sells for $100+. Then again, when it's the only packaged commercial product and it gets that end-cap behind the counter in Autozone where all the sheeple see it and are the only one that advertises...

Ultragauge seems to be a better product for 1/3 the price but I've never used it so I can't say much.

Dongle to connect to a smartphone/tablet/computer/whatever is the way to go these days. so many more features and functionality. There are many apps to chose from but most aren't worth messing with (like anything on the android or ios markets, once someone figures out how to do something, a million others copy it and change the color and post it up on the marketplace too.)

$100 used/spare smartphone + 20some for the dongle + 20 for Torque and you're ahead financially. If you don't have a smartphone and can't find a used one for <$100, get off the internet lol.

Anyone still use MPGuino these days or are pre-obd2 cars so few and far between on here they've been lost to history?

-2001 BMW R1200c
-1970 VW Beetle
-2015 Prius (for the wife)
"You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ok, I guess I am too old school, just accidentally found forum, but before these "newfangled gadgets" that are expensive, guys put in a vacuum gauge, keep eye on it, drive to keep highest vacuum possible. use same pump every time le it auto shut off, don't round gas up, & calculate savings & mpg on paper at each fill up. I fill out paper 99% of my fill ups, & been doing this for well over 30 years.

but yes a simple vacuum gauge will help driving habits.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I know the one im my Prius definitely helps. Without the gauge I hover around 45 mpg. With the gauge I usually get around 55 mpg. Maybe thats just because I can't tell if the engine is on or not. lol
Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_biker View Post
ok, I guess I am too old school, just accidentally found forum, but before these "newfangled gadgets" that are expensive, guys put in a vacuum gauge, keep eye on it, drive to keep highest vacuum possible.
My dad used to put these in his cars
Basic, but they did help.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
Ultragauge seems to be a better product for 1/3 the price but I've never used it so I can't say much.
I've got both, all around I like the Ultragauge better, 7 pages of readings, with up to 8 readings per page is pretty nice to have. The advantage that the Scangauge has is the ability to quickly scroll through different gauge readouts in 1 spot without the others changing. Scangauge also has the X-Gauge feature which allows you to add vehicle specific gauges based on what the computer in your vehicle monitors. As has been said though, there are so many options out there that the Scangauge is borderline obsolete as a whole.

Reply  Post New Thread