Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lex Luthor - '10 Lexus HS250h
90 day: 70.18 mpg (US)
If you lower your top speed in your P&G, you will definitley increase your FE. If traffic allows and you don't mind your trip taking more time, I would even lower your max speed to 55 or even 50. Additionally, I have done multiple P&G's on long inclines and it absolutely is more FE in my case. I have also tried to DWL up the long hills but the multiple P&G's always return higher MPGs.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
If you lower your top speed in your P&G, you will definitley increase your FE. If traffic allows and you don't mind your trip taking more time, I would even lower your max speed to 55 or even 50. Additionally, I have done multiple P&G's on long inclines and it absolutely is more FE in my case. I have also tried to DWL up the long hills but the multiple P&G's always return higher MPGs.
thanks for the info and suggestions

I cant really afford to drop below 50 i'd be inconveniencing other drivers (esp trucks, which roll at 50-56mph over here)

I'm happy to do slower p&g speeds when the traffic tails back-fairly regularly do a 50-35 one is 'concertina' traffic.

Most of the hills are gradual, so i find pulsing up them doesnt hurt..
Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

I recognise that accursed route - the M8. Damn you useless road...

I don't go west of Harthill often but I have for the past couple of months - to East Renfrew and to Argyll & Bute and various other western 'colonies' . Normally most of my trips are either north on the M9, south to Newcastle on the A1 or A68 or south to Eng-el-and on the M8-M74. These are longer journeys and I'll tap about them at the end.

Going east from Glasgow the worst initial part is the M8 in Glasgow itself from the Kingston bridge until The Fort. It is mostly flat but it usually has a lot of traffic. That isn't too bad as the traffic tends to move slowly. Once past the turn off for Carlisle the M8 climbs to Eurocentral which is more or less full of traffic and solidly uphill for about 5-6 miles. The road then climbs more gently to Harthill and then dips for about 5-10 miles and then dips and rises until it reaches Livingston and eventually on to Embra.

Despite it being a motorway it is only 2 lanes each side, every other motorway South of the central belt is 3 lanes each side. Grrr.

My method is to crawl until the Fort. If I leave a large enough gap I can P&G with the G bit being 3-4 times the P bit because of the speed here. Once I get to The Fort then everyone else wants to be in the outside because of trucks joining from the M77 link, but I'm happy because they do my speed (roughly 60-ish) up the long climb. After that I do aggressive P&G with an average speed of 65 (P&G between 70 and 60) and longer coasts on the downhill parts.

Monitoring my MPG I can do East->West, Embra to Glasgow (M8 roundabout to the Kingston bridge) averaging 60 on my SG2, 56 on the onboard. Going back I can do 58 before 3pm, nearer 50-ish after then when the Bridge starts to back up.

As for going south I can do Embra via the M8 and M77 to just south of Birmingham and back on a single tank these days whereas before I could just about make it to Knutsford on the way back before needing fuel.

On my last fast trip south though I was bored and in a hurry. Just at Carlisle a guy in a Bentley Continental GT passed me at a very high speed so I set my cruise to follow him about half a mile behind and did the last leg quite quickly.

Sometimes I kind of think a Polo Bluemotion would be good, or even a C1 Diesel. And then sometimes...