EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   does CNG count? Experimenters? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/does-cng-count-experimenters-22942.html)

stillsearching 08-15-2012 04:34 PM

does CNG count? Experimenters?

Its not gasoline and not diesel...

Is there anyone here experimenting with or using CNG fuel in vehicles? The cost difference and lower pollution makes it worth looking at, the expense of conversions stands as a barrier to it however.

UFO 08-15-2012 05:00 PM

It is a fossil fuel that is consuming and polluting vast quantities of water as we speak.

stillsearching 08-15-2012 05:27 PM

No, thats fracking, which will hopefully be banned soon. :P Besides which there are "farm wells" all over much of the country which just bleed up CNG all day in small quantities, which you can use or not, they arent polluting anyone's water to make use of that gas. I'm just wondering if it's better to have it in off topic, or here since on most other boards it's lumped in with alternative fuels in general.

euromodder 08-15-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 321831)
It is a fossil fuel that is consuming and polluting vast quantities of water as we speak.

Yes, but it's doing that on its own, without human intervention, and has been doing so for ages.

Fermenting waste and manure is an option to get bio-methane.
Some farmers here are using their cattle's methane to heat the farm .

UFO 08-15-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 321845)
Yes, but it's doing that on its own, without human intervention, and has been doing so for ages.

Fermenting waste and manure is an option to get bio-methane.
Some farmers here are using their cattle's methane to heat the farm .

I am talking specifically about the production of natural gas by fracking wells, by far the majority of current natural gas production. No one is going to recover any significant methane in this market.

UFO 08-15-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsearching (Post 321842)
No, thats fracking, which will hopefully be banned soon. :P Besides which there are "farm wells" all over much of the country which just bleed up CNG all day in small quantities, which you can use or not, they arent polluting anyone's water to make use of that gas. I'm just wondering if it's better to have it in off topic, or here since on most other boards it's lumped in with alternative fuels in general.

"Fracking" is the method of production for natural gas. If you purchase natural gas, you are supporting fracking. If you can get enough from digesters and landfill recovery, I commend you.

stillsearching 08-15-2012 08:49 PM

No i'm actually hoping to get it from my aunt's farm well when I move out there in the future, I wont be supporting fracking at all. :P

But i'm not trying to make it an uncomfortably politicized conversation - if CNG chat doesnt belong in "fossil fuel free" then I wont bring it up here. :(

euromodder 08-16-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 321862)
I am talking specifically about the production of natural gas by fracking wells, by far the majority of current natural gas production.

Gas is escaping through natural cracks in the surface as well.
Depending on water temperature, it forms hydrates that remain on the bottom, or simply bubbles up into the atmosphere.

UFO 08-16-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsearching (Post 321888)
No i'm actually hoping to get it from my aunt's farm well when I move out there in the future, I wont be supporting fracking at all. :P

But i'm not trying to make it an uncomfortably politicized conversation - if CNG chat doesnt belong in "fossil fuel free" then I wont bring it up here. :(

Bio-generated methane certainly fits "fossil-free", as much or perhaps more than biodiesel, which is my fuel of choice. But unless you are sourcing yourself, commercial sources are not fossil-free, and come with a very high pollution cost. I value water far more, and I need to come up with an alternative to heat my home.

euromodder 08-16-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 322015)
I value water far more, and I need to come up with an alternative to heat my home.

Heat pump running off solar panels .
Not cheap, but just about as clean as it gets.