Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Dome Acoustics

Lately, I've been watching a bit of Paul Robinson on Youtube. While most of it is pertinent to geodesic domes, this one is about the acoustics of a hemispherical space:

While I agree with what he says, the way I would express it is the central zone is 'live', while sound travels along the walls without going through the center. The one I lived in had a lower level and an upper loft with no line of sight. One could sit in a couch in the loft with one's head a foot from a ceiling angled at 30° and hear someone whisper, sitting in a chair by the window downstairs.

The wing walls he shows should be effective for moderating sound, but I would consider an inverted cone in the center top. Either acoustic absorbing material or an active noise-canceling speaker box.

Even though the sound originating by the wall isn't heard in the center, the sound waves are passing through there, as he shows.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Lately, I've been watching a bit of Paul Robinson on Youtube. While most of it is pertinent to geodesic domes, this one is about the acoustics of a hemispherical space:

While I agree with what he says, the way I would express it is the central zone is 'live', while sound travels along the walls without going through the center. The one I lived in had a lower level and an upper loft with no line of sight. One could sit in a couch in the loft with one's head a foot from a ceiling angled at 30° and hear someone whisper, sitting in a chair by the window downstairs.

The wing walls he shows should be effective for moderating sound, but I would consider an inverted cone in the center top. Either acoustic absorbing material or an active noise-canceling speaker box.

Even though the sound originating by the wall isn't heard in the center, the sound waves are passing through there, as he shows.

Just when I thought I had all the bugs on the dream home worked out in my head in my you have to show that. I was thinking of a spiral stair case in the dead center from peak of dome to basement wondering now if it would channel the noise equipment to the out side walls. hmm
Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You self-selected out of the group of [90] views. Thanks.

Want to do some hand-waving about your dream house? I generally divide dome floor plans by open-in-the-center, like the original Dymaxion I, vs closed-in-the-center, like the Dymaxion II Wichita house. Note in either case the partition walls are radial.

Since my imagination doesn't have the budgetary constraints of Real Life, I'd go with a 36" arcrylic tube vacuum elevator with a staircase wrapped around that. With an acoustical balustrade as needed.

Daytona Elevator: Residential Elevators - Home Elevators,Pneumatic Vacuum Elevators

Three levels — basement, first and second floor with a ladder up the back on the second floor to the crow's nest/observatory.

Here are some domes from Youtube:

Old 01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
So, you could hear someone pass gas from a completely different part of the house? Why was that the first thing that came to my mind?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Because acoustics define an environment as surely as sight.

Define evil as inescapable noise, and one is on the right track.

IMO, the golden mean, the golden ratio, is as much about “sound” as the “sense” of proportion being natural. Pleasing.

Sound falls off naturally or (perceived) not at all.

One can sit in the Meyerson Symphony Hall in Dallas along the second or third tier (due to sight lines) and look instantly in a capacity hall during a performance at the person who just coughed. Behind a fist. Muffled.

Speak from the stage in a just above normal tone to a lecture audience of thirty, and all can hear. No matter where seated.

In a house, lack of acoustic privacy is a problem. The “reason” for rooms is more auditory than visual.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's a cultural thing. In Japan the walls are one layer of paper. In old Europe they have doubled doors on rooms to block sound.

Quote:
Define evil as inescapable noise, and one is on the right track.
Tinnitus. Definitely tinnitus.