Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you have a smaller lighter car, it can be dangerous in the rain. The difference in the air speed just outside of the envelope is alot higher and if the driver in front of you changes lanes abruptly or wriggles it can send you skidding left or right.

Its happened to me so.

Other than that I'm a pretty big fan of legal drafting.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Trying to be diplomatic

I hope there is a disclaimer on drafting, that it's not endorsed but just to illustrate the power of good aerodynamics.

Drafting is effective - geese do it, squadrons do it. In 2000 an editor for Car & Driver poked inches behind an Explorer with a plywood board blocking better than an 18-wheeler....at 58mph on a warm day I might get as good as 85mpg, but he got 121mpg. Two years ago I noticed a 7F rise in coolant temp. I don't do it anymore - ever.

Hypermiler-bashers are doing their darndest to say drafting semis is standard procedure, but I have yet to know of a hypermiler that has done it the last 1-2 years. At Wayne's site we empatically discourage the practice. I've lost count of hypermiling articles that at the end have it advised against by state trooper that likely have no clue to hypermiling and some articles are simply and OP/ED against it posing as reporting with wild accusations of hypermiliner doing rolling stops, pulse and glide in rush hour traffic, etc. If you took them serously, we are up their with sucide bombers, but wait a minute. If there was ONE accident that could be linked to hypermiling, it would be news, yet 100-110 Americas die on the roads due to speeding, DUI, distraction, recklessness.

There is too much traffic to do this in urban areas long enough to benefit significantly. Now that truckers are aware, many will vary their speed, etc to shake tailgaters off.

Anyway, please make this an illustration that it's effective but not recommended.

If you want to reduce wind resistance, aeromod.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
Trying to be diplomatic

I hope there is a disclaimer on drafting, that it's not endorsed but just to illustrate the power of good aerodynamics.

Drafting is effective - geese do it, squadrons do it. In 2000 an editor for Car & Driver poked inches behind an Explorer with a plywood board blocking better than an 18-wheeler....at 58mph on a warm day I might get as good as 85mpg, but he got 121mpg. Two years ago I noticed a 7F rise in coolant temp. I don't do it anymore - ever.

Hypermiler-bashers are doing their darndest to say drafting semis is standard procedure, but I have yet to know of a hypermiler that has done it the last 1-2 years. At Wayne's site we empatically discourage the practice. I've lost count of hypermiling articles that at the end have it advised against by state trooper that likely have no clue to hypermiling and some articles are simply and OP/ED against it posing as reporting with wild accusations of hypermiliner doing rolling stops, pulse and glide in rush hour traffic, etc. If you took them serously, we are up their with sucide bombers, but wait a minute. If there was ONE accident that could be linked to hypermiling, it would be news, yet 100-110 Americas die on the roads due to speeding, DUI, distraction, recklessness.

There is too much traffic to do this in urban areas long enough to benefit significantly. Now that truckers are aware, many will vary their speed, etc to shake tailgaters off.

Anyway, please make this an illustration that it's effective but not recommended.

No one here including the OP is advocating to get on their bumper. I'm the only person who even advocated doing it at all, and even then I said be safe and legal about it. If you are doing something safely and legally. . .there is no reason not to.

Its pretty simple. Staying behind a semi/RV/bus regulates your speed and they are far more cautious(on the average) than anyone else on the road. They know that the several tons of cargo won't stop quickly so they watch ahead. If you are a safe distance behind them. . . its safe.

I stay safely back but at the same time I'll stay behind them as long as possible(I have a 200 mile drive once every 2-3 weeks round trip and I'll do it both ways.)

The people behind me are much closer than I am to the larger vehicle, cops are alot closer behind me than I am to them. I can safely break much faster than the larger vehicles and I can usually see around whats going on.

As long as you maintain a safe legal distance away drafting is fantastic.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I tried not to sound shrill or the like.

As long as those on the fence on hypermiling or even oppose it know drafting semis is not a condoned practice by hypermilers themselves, no problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I don't know about you guys; but if I follow that distance my biggest hazard is the the people who pull in between me and the bus.

The way "I" figure it is if someone feels that there is plenty of room between you and the leading vehicle to cram in then you are ok; now WHEN somebody crams in you'll have to back off.

Now operating video camera and drafting isn't a good idea.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I don't know about you guys; but if I follow that distance my biggest hazard is the the people who pull in between me and the bus.

The way "I" figure it is if someone feels that there is plenty of room between you and the leading vehicle to cram in then you are ok; now WHEN somebody crams in you'll have to back off.

Now operating video camera and drafting isn't a good idea.
Unless its mounted on switch is you do. . .or the passenger operates it.

Dremd oddly thats usually how I decipher if I am close enough or not. I try to make it big enough for another person but to make it not really invitingly large
Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Unless its mounted on switch is you do. . .or the passenger operates it.
I "assume" it on a switch is the Video Camera?
I'm mostly joking about the camera, but it is dangerous to be operating a handheld camera while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Dremd oddly thats usually how I decipher if I am close enough or not. I try to make it big enough for another person but to make it not really invitingly large
I'd live to drive that way; but so far I "feel" if I follow close enough for nobody to merge in I'm 2 close; I could be weird, or maybe drivers are more aggressive around here.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Drivers around here aren't that aggressive and its usually 2 lanes so the aggressiveones can see its not likely to get them the 10 feet ahead of me the left lane will get.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
Trying to be diplomatic

Have you looked at the hypermiling board? People do the rolling stops, etc etc
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Have you looked at the hypermiling board? People do the rolling stops, etc etc
Coasting to a stop is fine, but rolling thru a stop sign is not.

Over the past two years, opponents have misrepresented hypermiling by dwelling on semi drafting and rolling thru stop signs to discredit. It would be just as factual to say all motorcycle riders are street thugs like Hell's Angels.

Most of you know the forum I hang out - it's not recommended there.

PR is important - let the hypermiling-bashers be the crazy ones.

Reply  Post New Thread