Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
The PRC.

Weird islanders ? At least we have decent headgear

Well ok we do, Ireland - dunno - only been to Dublin and I was drunk...

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
So if a person lifts dumbells with only one arm is it actually possible to have one skinny arm and one big arm ? My guess would be of course not .
In the 2006 movie Lady in the Water there is a character (Freddy Rodriguez) who exercises only the right side of his body.

This happens (on a smaller scale) if you break an arm and have to do everything with the other one for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Very, very few people really fall in that group.

In my 42 years on this planet, I've only come across a single person who I know is really ambidextrous : i.e. able to write different texts with both hands simultaneously.
You've met James Garfield (20th US president)? I read that he could simultaneously write with both hands - one in Latin the other in Greek.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
So if a person lifts dumbells with only one arm is it actually possible to have one skinny arm and one big arm ? My guess would be of course not .
There is an interesting effect that occurs when, as per Piwoslaw's example, one can only exercise one limb due to injury. Surprisingly, the other limb does make some limited progress. However, working out one side on a regular basis would certainly result in an asymmetry, because the body builds muscle on the basis of need.

When talking about lifting weights as a means to gain muscle, it is important to get out of the 'isolate everything' mindset. A hormonal response - as well as a caloric surplus that most lifters use - will aid in muscle development in general. That's why big compound exercises like squats and presses performed correctly will put muscle on a skinny kid.

So the very testosterone and protein needed to build the big arm in the first place may also contribute to the smaller arm, although that limb will be noticeably smaller due to lack of exercise.

As an added note, minor strength and size asymmetries are not terribly uncommon even among lifters who use [evenly loaded] barbells on a regular basis, and lift them in a symmetrical manner. Interesting thing.

Reply  Post New Thread