Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
How to live with one electronic device?

Why do we need not just one electronic device but several of them? I call it the 21st century electronic device paradox.

Before smartphones and tablets most people had just one computer where they did all their word processing, spread sheets, digital media playing, file storage, web browsing, emails, etc. But today some people own two or more devices, like smartphones and tablets, that can do all those things. In fact the majority of Americans own a PC, a tablet and a smartphone. Some even have both a desktop and a laptop or multiple tablets and smartphones! But does everyone really need so many electronic devices? Why not just go back to having only one electronic device?

On the one hand I see why it's handy to have at least two devices, one being a smartphone. The smartphone is easy to carry around and isn't too hard to use for small tasks, whereas anything bigger than a smartphone won't fit in your average sized pocket. But doing any serious computing on a smartphone is largely unproductive, which is where needing a device with a bigger screen and helpful tools like a keyboard and/or mouse comes in handy. And nowadays you are expected to carry around a cellphone anyway. So whether you need a tablet or laptop or not, why not make your cellphone a smartphone?

But there are compromises in owning two or more "computers". For starters you now have two or more expensive things to maintain and replace when they wear out, which ends up costing more money. This is especially true when you get a high end phone that can cost just as much as your laptop does. Why not put all that money towards one device or save it for something else? And you could make the argument that there are many cheap or even free smartphones out there. But then again you get what you pay for. Small storage, slow processing, quickly outdated OS's and poor battery life might not work for everyone.

Add to that the need to transfer all your necessary stuff between devices. Sure, there are cloud storages and sync settings that can help with some of that. But it sure is a pain to realize that you need to see or work on something that's not on your smartphone, but on your tablet or laptop you left at home. Which has me looking for that expensive smartphone with enough memory that I can copy all my necessary files onto it. Or maybe I have what I need on my phone, but would like to do some serious computing somewhere else so have to carry around a laptop or something anyway.

But what if you could have just one device as portable as a phone and as productive as a PC at the same time? Well that's my goal! I took my first step in that direction a few years ago when I got rid of my laptop (that I had owned for nearly 10 years mind you) and replaced it with a 10 inch Microsoft Surface 3 "tablet that can replace your laptop." I got to say that this tablet is awesome in this respect. I get a full PC experience with a device as portable as a 10" tablet. But it still feels a bit too bulky to carry around like I do my phone.

So I tried a Windows Phone with Continuum capability (Alcatel Idol 4). The experience is ok. I'm able to plug in a keyboard and mouse and have a fairly good desktop experience. But support for Windows mobile is dying, if not already dead. And if I need to take my desktop experience along with me I need to carry around that very same keyboard, mouse, black box, and perhaps even a small TV in order to have what I need.

So where do I go from here? Do I try something Apple or Android? Or just work with the tablet I already have?

One idea is to carry around a man-purse of some sort for carrying around the tablet. And that works sometimes. But as a man, I'm not used to remembering to carry around a bag with me. A big pocket attached to my clothing would be better.

I saw some sort of bag that straps on under the arm. That seems like an ok solution. It's like adding a big pocket on the side or your shirt. What do you think?

Any other ideas?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whatever allows you to spend the least to do the most (that is necessary).

I once dabbled in portable devices. For years, I have been a fan of netbooks.

The reasoning is: I don't *need* a phone that does everything. I eventually got a smartphone during my netbook phase, but always the cheapest I could buy that was reasonably durable (I could bundle the cost into my carrier charges). The netbook served as both home workstation and portable internet / working computer. I could transcribe during meetings and presscons, then do basic photo-processing at home.

But with the advent of ever-heavier Windows systems like 7 and 10, that's become a non-starter. I don't want an expensive portable because in my line of work, I may very possibly break or lose it on a work trip. I'd rather have something rugged and easy to replace. Cheap netbooks are nearly incapable of running Windows 10 at anything beyond snail pace, and the most recent ones I've bought are nearly unserviceable, with components bundled together. Used to be, I could pop it open myself to replace memory or a fried drive. Now, you have to take apart the frigging motherboard to reach the innards... and hope you don't snap a clip or tear out a fragile ribbon cable while doing so... because replacements cost nearly as much as the netbook. Not worth it.

(end rant)

-

As to your problem, a messenger bag, maybe, as opposed to a man purse? Gives you more storage flexibility? What you're talking about sounds like a one-shoulder backpack. Not sure they sell them in a size or shape suitable for a tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Yes. It all depends on what you need to do. I can plug in a second screen, Blu-Ray optical drive, printer/scanner, extra mouse and a thumb drive along with the type cover keyboard all into my Surface 3 tablet all at the same time. But I need all that for the work I do.

Something like this is what I was thinking of:

https://www.eholster.com/tablet-shoulder-holster
Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
As I type this, I'm looking at 3 laptops on my coffee table, plus this one on my lap. Then there's the HTPC playing Netflix "Edge of the Universe".

I bet wrong on the success of the smart phone when I said nobody would want internet on their phone since they already have it at home, but it turned out to be too useful and the price came down a lot along with huge increases in bandwidth. I carry my company issued iPhone and 13" laptop everywhere I go.

Then I've got a 12 core server for test environments and various desktops I've built over the years.

I bought a 7" tablet new for something like $40 some time ago to use as a Torque screen. There's probably around 30 various smart phones collected from various places such as company phone upgrades.

Since I can't stand accumulating books, I bought a Kindle. The e-ink is easy on the eyes and readable in bright light, while being easy to find references. Everyone should have an e-reader in my opinion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Nowadays a smartphone and a laptop might be enough for the average Joe. Portability is a valuable asset, even though photo editing with a smartphone might not be so easy due to the limitations inherent to the touchscreen interface.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I always had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket, then years ago I decided a Leatherman was more useful. But I still need real tools. I wouldn't try to find one electronic device for all my needs because there isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
One thing that happens is that people get attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but...

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
The Following User Says Thank You to jakobnev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I always had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket, then years ago I decided a Leatherman was more useful. But I still need real tools. I wouldn't try to find one electronic device for all my needs because there isn't one.
Exactly. Just as with the Swiss Army knife, even if one device could do it all, it wouldn't do any individual task as well as the purpose-built one.

So I have a non-smart phone that does phone calls and text messages, and has a physical keyboard to make writing texts... well, not exactly easy 'cause my fingers are too big, but at least much more doable than a touch screen.

(And the phone easily fits in my pack for when I'm out hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, &c.)

Then I have a tablet (well, a couple, but one's for experimenting) that is mostly for reading papers and manuals. I can carry it around with me, and even run an OBDII app on it when I'm working on vehicles. But even with a Bluetooth keyboard, it's too small for convenient working.

So I have computers, with real keyboards and 21" or larger monitors. The notebook for general work, the power-sucking multi-core with GPU compute machine, and the one with the big disk that is backup and storage for audio files & stuff.

When I want to take halfway decent pictures, I have a real camera, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
One thing that happens is that people get attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but they are attached to their old things, but they still want new things, but...
Maybe I'm just trying to justify getting some nostalgic basic phone again. I miss my little basic Nokia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
But what if your Swiss Army knife and Leatherman were battery operated? And the Swiss Army knife, though less useful, would last five times that of the Leatherman? And then on top of that, you still had to lug around a tool box with you everywhere you go anyway?

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 01-25-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Old 01-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Hello all,

A quick search found multiple threads, products, etc. intended to show how/allow connecting fullsize monitor, keyboard, etc. to a smartphone.

Basically, have only the smartphone, and "dock" it at home. If you don't play any games that don't run on phones, you should be able to get by just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to cajunfj40 For This Useful Post:
Reply  Post New Thread