Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota Ist - '06 Scion Xa
90 day: 35.17 mpg (US)
Question Importing a car from Canada to US??

Has anyone done this? I found a car I really like... 2004 Toyota Echo RS 5dr hatchback...iv seen them selling for around 3-4k. I was just wondering if you guys know how difficult it is or expensive this would be to bring this car to the usa, since it was never sold here?

I did see that it has the same motor as the scion xa/xb so emissions shouldnt be a problem. Im worried about the headlights and bumper safety not passing. Its just a mix of toyota echo/scion xa/xb...i really hope it wont cost tons.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by EcoBill; 11-22-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well to my understanding, it far exceeds USA emissions + safety. So i just found a 42 page document on the EPA website about importing cars, will let you guys know the outcome. I also have to double check the DOT website as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
I have looked into this process my self, I found a mid 80's supra I was looking at bringing across the border.

What I read says that you should contact customs and the local DMV a week or so in advance to find about any issues for bringing it to the us.

When you go up to the dealership they give you the sales paper work and a temporary permit that allows you to drive it for a week so you can get it back to the US and get it titled and registered.

You show the sales paper work at customs.

You then show the sales paperwork at the DMV and they do what ever they do for inspections in your state.

As far as the vehicle safety and road wortyness most newer used cars will be ok. You just need to make sure that the spedo has a Reading for MPH and may need to switch it to us spec headlights if they can't be adjusted enough to not blind people while you are driving on the left side of the road.

The most important thing you can do is work it out ahead with your local DMV and make sure its not going to be a issue.

If you live in a border state it will be fairly easy...but further in from canada you will have to explain it to a dozen supervisors as to why you went to canada to buy a car.

If there are emissions issues a New cat could probably fix that problem for you.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yea i was going to call DMV and customs tomorrow.

What if i buy the car from private party? or would it be better to get it from a dealership?

and I actually dont have a passport yet, so i was hoping to have them ship it to me or to NY and I would trailer it from there.

Reply  Post New Thread