Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
And I also thought about venting them to the wheel wells... but aren't we always trying to remove airflow from them with things like wheel skirts and flat moon discs? Why would we even think about adding more flow there it just contradicts everything I believe...
I think wheel skirts are to keep turbulent air out, but maybe it's OK to let air in in a controlled manner. Here is a sentence from an Interview with BMW aerodynamicist Hans Kerschbaum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
in today's cars the air no longer exits around the transmission but through the wheelwells, where there is a lowpressure zone that sucks the air out.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
I think this could be an ideal way of venting it into the wheel wells.

Behind the tire pointing out towards the outside so the air has the path of least resistance. What do you think? The best spot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator vent.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4579  
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Venting the warm radiator air into the area in front of the wheel would create a pressure zone over the wheel, preventing the normal air steam from accessing the wheel's surface, meaning you don't need a smooth wheel cover, since your radiator's flow will basically act as a wheel cover anyway.

Using the warm radiator's airflow to do so would also help warm the tires, creating better traction, as well, although marginally.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well I already have smooth wheel covers anyway. I am thinking venting it behind the tire might be best though.

My reasoning is that throwing it in front of the tire will add more "air" that the wheel (even though it is smooth) has to go through. Also, I am thinking that by adding it in the rear it might also help with the airflow separation that always occurs at the edge of the fender right behind the wheel well in almost every car and make that transition smoother thus eliminating some of that flow separation... ?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you exit the air in front of the tire, it's being propelled already by pressure, so the tire won't need to "cut through it." It will actually save the tire from cutting through anything, as the warm air circulating near the tire would create a smooth surface for the cooler flowing air to go over. At the same time, the warmer air will be forced backward by the flow around the front of the car, so it's like "excess" airflow that will actually help keep flow attached, I think.

Of course, I can't prove this without a wind tunnel, so it's just a theory.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Makes sense... any other input of infront vs behind the tire?

Once I have some more opinions made Im for sure going to pull the plug on this ... I just need to know where to direct said flow...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Pull the Plug = stop design/testing and deployment.. why would you want to do that?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
Makes sense... any other input of infront vs behind the tire?

Once I have some more opinions made Im for sure going to pull the plug on this ... I just need to know where to direct said flow...
How about you do in front on the left wheelwell and behind on the right, then test it and let us know the results? Just kidding Though sacrificing the wheelwells for this research would help alot...

What about cars that already vent rad air into the wheelwells: take a look and see how they did it. Of course, each car's aerodynamics is different and what helps one may not work for another.

On the other hand, with our blocked up grilles the airflow into the wheelwells will be almost negligible, so this may not make much of a difference.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Haha true sacrificing them would be the easiest lol ... Hmmm decisions drecisions

and I haven't seen any Cars that vent the air onto the wheelwells so I don't know where to even start

Reply  Post New Thread