Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
I agree with you : wind shield like hooked to the bars sounds like more drag to me : you increase S without improving Cx enough.

On the other hand, closing the air path behind the driver does not increase S but improves Cx.

I'm thinking Stiletto2 design :

But I wonder : up to 45 mph, is the SCx this influential ?
I'm thinking weight, weight distribution and rolling resistance are of paramount importance.
Also, as I understood, the potential for your top speed / acceleration is to be seeked in the controller / batteries area, right ?

Last edited by renault_megane_dci; 05-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: continuing the post ...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
But I wonder : up to 45 mph, is the SCx this influential ?
I'm thinking weight, weight distribution and rolling resistance are of paramount importance.
Also, as I understood, the potential for your top speed / acceleration is to be seeked in the controller / batteries area, right ?
I agree - I don't think any minor improvements in aero will be noticeable at our speeds. Min sustained speed is probably around 30, max around 60, average is about 40 (EDIT: My son said the GPS registered 45 MPH average for 2 laps from a standing start), and it's not at the max for that long - less than 20% of the time (maybe more like 10%). Those would be more "speed-run" numbers. To get more endurance you'd need to drop it down from there. The more we drop it down the less of a factor the aero will be.

I think rolling resistance is the major mechanical factor limiting our endurance. Coasting is the key in that area. From what we learned, the biggest gains are in battery capacity. We probably had only 60-70% of the capacity of the top teams even with higher voltage overall. We needed to up our voltage to get more RPMs out of the motor due to our small dia tires and gearing limitations.

The weight is about where it has to be, and we are lighter than most because we didn't add 40 pounds of ballast needed to compete in-class.

Our controller is top-notch and completely programmable via laptop. Motor is also pretty good and commonly used by top teams.

To really be competitive we would need to build a chassis specifically around the rules with low-drag (rolling resistance mostly) being the major goal. Overall, what made us fast held us back in endurance - and the driver has a heavy foot...

Jay

Last edited by jkv357; 05-30-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread