Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Heard of fiberight, they are going to convert garbage to ethanol in my area.

Turning Waste Into Biofuel - Fiberight LLC

I think the problem with making our own E, is the energy used to distill the wine is greater than the return. Moonshingers claim $100 a gallon, E85 can be bought for $2.60, so I'll let them distill for now.

My kids eat sweet corn, not field corn grown for cattle and E, even the part that goes to E, 1/3+ still goes to the cows.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, for e70 I would need 7 gallons of ethanol, 3 gas for a fill up. Im sure I got enough between garbage and grass clippings for the mash. Just need a heat source to evaporate the alcohol.

How about solar?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is it 180 or 185 dF can't remember off hand, intertaining show, I think they cut Tickle off while filming. Sure solar will hit that for a little while every day during the summer. Better off distilling for consumption than fuel I think. Interesting you can feel the difference, how about some testing using a stop watch instead of Buttdyno, my cobalt pulls great, but I can't claim E30 or cold temps. Fuel for me is just one of the multiple variables.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I burn half a tank at 180 miles. I drive that frequently and switch between filling up with gas rom an e85 pump which we are assuming e70 and a gas pump with a sign that claims it contains 10% ethanol.

I know from past experiences buying fuel from a name brand store like BP gives better performance and springing for 93 octane gives a hell of a difference when you put your foot n it.

Id like to try more of an ethanol mix for its octane properties to see how that effects vs the pseudo e30 ratio Im likely at now.

Today I was in a lot of traffic and guess the ima system was on the warm side as it was rather relaxed in its performance after 3 hours of work. I notice from the butt dyno between 1500-2500 rpms its got a boost in torque. Its like that of a 2.0 vs a 1.x engine. Again, thats also from the butt dyno.

Regardless it seems the engagement of vtec at 2700 is either too early or too late or the grind is just off. I still think it needs to be reground for better performance.

Reply  Post New Thread