Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #41 (permalink)

As easy as i de-hybridized the MT Insight, i swapped the good IMA battery from the CVT into it. I really need to get it cleaned and ready for inspection as priority #1. The Ecm Enabler was becoming unreliable giving a CEL blink code 69 when i let the car idle for 3 minutes. So all Ecm Enabler work has now been swapped and will proceed in the more reliable cvt daily driver. This will make it easier for me to trouble shoot the Enabler and get it working.

Meanwhile work will continue on light weighting the MT until the enabler is sorted out.

Drive notes on MT when IMA was removed: Even though weight balance was shifted forward, handling wasn't as severely impacted as i thought. With the - ~80lbs difference from the front compared to cvt, it turned in easily enough. The rear has been unloaded of a lot of weight. It doesn't lift the rear much, but I could feel the rear tires have less traction when i drove over grooved pavement. It's certain when completed that lowering the car will be a must. Rattling exhaust also became evident. There are layers on the inside that appear to be sound deadening but look like a soft metal. I was able to peel a portion away easily.

For those people who say driving around with an IMA battery that is never used is not impact-full: imagine always driving around with a giant Saint Bernard, and then suddenly it's gone. You've gotten so used to it you don't realize the dead weight you're carrying! If I can i will eventually remove all IMA components, dropping dead weight is so uplifting. I'm looking at all things nonessential, and it's all got to go!

Note: Dash brake light was due to a faulty brake resevoir switch under the hood. I just unplugged it and it went away.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the updates keep us informed when you have it installed in the new car.
Security and integrity of all the connections from the enabler to the harness is vital.
Be 100% certain every connection is sound or ima errors will def occur.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #43 (permalink)

I never got an IMA light, it was always CEL blink code 69, then the car would run really rough to the point where i couldn't tell if LB was working. I believe the relevant thread might be this even though i never got the subcode: Need P1644 Help - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

The first time CEL blink code 69 came on was when it was parked overnight. I changed the 3 point ground in the battery box, and tried to troubleshoot. The ecm to mcm harness was really dirty. If it isn't the wiring, i had several uninformed thoughts if you could chime in on why it stops working after x amount of time ~30 minutes (not knowing exactly how the Enabler works):
1, Ign hold relay turning off?
2, PDU trying to charge the 12 volt and being unable to.
3, power failure of some sort.

4, it probably is the wiring

I might scrap this Enabler and resolder a really good one and beef up the wiring where it taps into the mcm connections. The CVT is really clean and should weed out any gremlins. MT passed inspection so i can get back to work on the Enabler this weekend.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #44 (permalink)

Like to note this enabler code version only threw blink code 69. This is only one of four or so mcm communication errors that the Enabler is faking.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:11 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If it works for half an hour before throwing a code is that long enough to pass inspection?

I don't think it is 1/2/3 in your list, the ecm may be sending a special request after so long and the enabler does not respond appropriately as it does not know about it.

Once you get it installed with 100% secure connections then we can think again.

Reply  Post New Thread