EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   "Eco-El-Camino" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-el-camino-22393.html)

OziDarklighter 06-26-2012 11:02 PM

"Eco-El-Camino"

My favorite car of all time is the El Camino. My current car is in the dumps (still runs, but probably not for too long) and I want to get my dream car. Here's the problem:

The El Camino (depending on the year and engine) gets anywhere from 4mpg - 12mpg which is completely unacceptable to me. So here's what I want to do:

Step 1 - Buy a used El Camino (~$2000) mainly making sure it's in good condition body wise, and everything but the engine is in great shape.

Step 2 - Swap out the Engine (~$2000-$3000) since I believe this to be the most efficient way to boost the fuel economy. I don't have the means to do it myself, so I'll find someone to do it for me who loves the project and won't charge as much.

Step 3 - Make any adjustments that would be beneficial (transmission, gear ratios, etc) to fuel economy.

Where I could use some help from the community is on Step 2. What engines would I be picking from? I'm wanting to aim upwards of 30mpg, but I'm not sure what engines will physically fit in (and match relatively well). Also, there were a limited number that ran Diesel engines, so I could possibly convert to bio-diesel. I've searched all sorts of El Camino hobbiest sites and they shun me, since an El Camino is a muscle car, and I'd be taking most of the muscle out of it by swapping in a smaller engine for fuel economy... so I'm hoping you guys can help :-)

Mustang Dave 06-27-2012 12:10 AM

A 4.0 liter Cologne V-6 is capable of 30+ MPG in a '07 Mustang (with some minor adjustments to the "nut behind the steering wheel").... Your mileage will most likely vary.

2000mc 06-27-2012 01:01 AM

an 87 with a 4.3 and 4spd auto, is rated 16city/22hwy, so its not like 12mpg would be a best case scenario. 3spd autos are also an option, that you want to avoid, unless you plan on swapping engine and trans. (i'm guessing that 4spd isnt going to have a lock up converter, so maybe swap it anyway)

without someone lined up to work long hours for free, i dont think i'd look much past a pretty basic swap. i was thinking a smaller v6 "might" bolt up to the trans, but looking through the numbers on camaros and s10's of that era / similar years, i dont think a 2.8/3.1/3.4 would offer much if any improvement.

engine and probably trans from a 2.2L s-10 might be your easiest higher mpg swap, theres a good chance you would be geared for mileage, or unfortunately might just be geared too high. although you might be fine with the horsepower of a 2.2, its not going to have any torque like what would have came in the elcamino.

i think i'd be alot happier with a 4.3l out of a '96 or newer truck, same if not better mileage than the 85-87 4.3s, only a couple mpg worse than a 2.2L (guessing from s-10 ratings) and 180-200hp instead of the 2.2L 120hp or 85-87 4.3L 130-145hp, and it should have enough torque to turn whatever gears the car came with. 260lb-ft vs 2.2L's 140lb-ft.

Daox 06-27-2012 08:09 AM

Forget gasoline power. Go electric. :)

TDL Electronics Electric El Camino Page

Tango Charlie 06-27-2012 08:12 AM

I looked up the 1984 on www.fueleconomy.gov/, and the diesel version was rated at 21 mpg (combined). It might be tough to find one, but I would start there. Before jumping into an engine swap project, drive it like we know how and do the standard mods; grille block, tire pressure, wheel discs, belly pan, etc. I'd think 30 would be achievable. Plus, you could run veg and smell like french fries. Bonus! :)
Or, if you're bent on the swap, buy a Geo Metro for your daily driver and make the El Comino an EV project! Now that would be cool.

D'oh! Daox beat me to it. ha ha!

Frank Lee 06-27-2012 09:38 AM

Diesel. Or maybe a 4 cyl drivetrain from a vehicle known to get more than 30 mpg; it will likely get less in it's new heavier, less aero shell.

BackroadBomber 06-27-2012 10:53 AM

If you're okay with an el camino-like vehicle I'd say get a dodge rampage and swap in a more efficient engine

Diesel_Dave 06-27-2012 11:53 AM

This guy put a Cummins 4BT 3.9L diesel in one:
1967 El Camino 4 BT swap

A guy I know just put a 4BT into his Dodge Dakota, and he was getting mpgs in the high 20's and I don't think he's very eco-minded.

I've thought for a while that an El Camino would be a great vehicle for an aero-cap as well!

Big Dave 06-27-2012 11:54 AM

From the standpoint of being easily within the capabilities of a hot-rodder used to engine swaps, and getting the desired MPG I would:

1) Lose the gas engine and automatic
2) Find a GM 6.2 liter diesel A 6.5 is dimensionally the same but a bit heavier
3) Get the T-56 transmission out of a Camaro. Junk yards are full of them.
4) With the T-56 either a 3.08 or 2.73 rear axle ratio will work.
5) Upgrade front springs/shocks to accommodate the heavier (~700 lb) engine.

Bingo! You're over 30 MPG. Its mostly a bolt-up although you may have to fabricate new motor mount brackets.

You'll probably want to keep the engine NA, but if you have room, Banks makes a good and monkey-proof turbo kit for the 6.2.

OziDarklighter 06-27-2012 10:26 PM

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the extensive posts. Thanks all!!!

The fully electric el camino is pretty sweet! I'd love to own that, but I don't have that kind of money / time / expertise. Maybe I'll e-mail them and ask though.

I like the idea of taking a stock El Camino and changing out minor parts to increase fuel economy, but I'm still not sure that 30+ is achievable. Thoughts?

The T56 swap seems to be the most promising, since it sounds like everything will match up and require far less labor. Isn't it a bit counter-intuitive that you'd want to put in a heavier engine (700+ pounds) in order to achieve a more efficient result though?