Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ideas for two trade students motor swap

:-) :-) :-) :-)

My happy little fwd Justy is sitting at home about to be retired from a daily, I was gifted a Hyundia accent to get to work from my parents before they snow bird to florida. (Requires road trip home) So I want to take out the subaru's three banger carbed motor thats survived for years on low compression. Got it for a few jays a buck or two and a tradjecly hip cd (no joke, oil worker didnt want it any more) two years ago and it hasnt given up the ghost. So in honnor of its pep. I was thinking of drive train options, a toyota 4wd trans, and a smart CDI motor's been caught in my head. I might just keep the focus on a motor swap, keep the old five speed, ive got a friend whos in sheet metal wants to make the addapter plate in exhange for stick practice. But, with all enthuisum in check, what's a good plan of attack? It's no ones dream car but mine, i just want to keep its fun rear end and cut wieght, put in a modern motor. Aero mods maybe but not yet, I live in Bc on vancouver island with only a few highways over 80kph(50mph). It's a fun driving car and I've been doing structural welding classes all year, so ideas? Warnings? Obvious errors in my plan? Let the rookie know!

I would love to do an EV, but not today. I like diesels, ived had a few, and mercedes have great motors and terrible gearboxes. A TDI seems heavy, but i'll listen to suggestions

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I would love to do an EV, but not today.
“If not us, who? If not now, when?”

Have you looked the conversions done by EVMetro?

Else, you might just do the motor's top end and bank the difference.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the reply to my first thread.

Student budget means I can't get adequate motor controllers, and I've banged my head about looking for forklifts and do see lots of other Canadians doing EV stuff (forkenswift from Ontario, 300mpg guy from Michigan state) there are EV clubs, but if you are going to do any thing right you'd have to stick to your budget.

The plus side is the rear end of the Justy has a nice carrier for 4wd components and is a fun little car to make RWD, CV joints chop off and you have a cheap rwd with an overloaded diff (for drifting, so I hear) mine is the FWD so getting a donor trans is another thing to look out for, wile we scratch our heads putting together it's game plain.

Oh and the issue with the engine is it's oil pump housing and the justy's tendency to warp it, so it's been hard to find or circumvent at this point, but still looking into that.

Down the road (maybe not too far) I'm going to direct drive an AC motor back there. I think the lighter CDI might even accompany the AC and you know, make like one of them high fanggled inbreeds, so range extension (even looked for a Kobuta 3cyl) before taking a more serious look at smart motors. This way I'd have a light working car before we start loading weight back on it and have it apart over another summer or winter.

To be honest with welding and my computer background I'm more comfortable with electronics, but I also have a house with gear heads and a sheet metal buddy, so tractor sounds out of a hatchback sounds like a great way to start.

I really want it to be simple, it's a simple fun car with great MPG for it's age. a more modern motor would be way better too. My concerns is the fly wheel size, I might direct that question through the Justy forum.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Is there any Vancouver Island Ecomodders on the forum I should ask nice about budget Ideas? or any one who needs significant favors? I mean I just got a free car and got the last one over a few tokes and a CD... Maybe I should see what I can get for the Hyundai once I know if I'm in bicycle commuting distance for my next job, umm EV motors would be nice... (batteries keep getting better ever year)

Last edited by justy999cc; 06-10-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I didn't know the particulars of the Justy's layout. It sounds like an opportunity for a 'through the road' hybrid. With two more or less independent drivetrains, there's less integration needed. If you have a running vehicle that you needn't rely on, you might be able to keep it running through the hybridization project.

Forklift DC motors were all that was available just a few years ago. The situation now is that the junkyards are filling with OEM EVs that are a source for motors, inverters, chargers and battery packs that are miles ahead of the previous sources, and 1/10th the cost. For my own EV project I got the Toyota MGR.

Here's a picture comparing it to to a 36hp VW engine case:

A 98lb, 68hp, single-speed 10,000rpm device. It works with an open source controller you can build yourself.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Interesting, we do have tons of luxury cars and hybrid suv's out here, more than other provinces.

That's sort of why the room mates all have BMW's from the 80's 90's. That and you always get pulled over in a honda, even if your not doing any thing wrong.

Thanks again

Reply  Post New Thread