EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Effects of music on fuel economy? Regardless of genre (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/effects-music-fuel-economy-regardless-genre-37968.html)

iikhod 11-09-2019 04:53 PM

Effects of music on fuel economy? Regardless of genre

Has this been discussed? :)
I think you can do a better job hypermiling, if you listen to music. Music you like, that makes you be in a better mood. At least for myself music i like is better than no music. Or hideous nowadays-radio garbage.
Better mood-better driving.
Thoughts? Maybe personal results?

litesong 11-09-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 611327)
Music you like, that makes you be in a better mood.
Better mood-better driving.

Lots of drivers have been carried away by music, crashed & then carried away for burial..... along with those they killed. :eek:

But, yeah. Jean Sibelius is great!

iikhod 11-09-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 611344)
Lots of drivers have been carried away by music, crashed & then carried away for burial..... along with those they killed. :eek:

That is true. There are also people who have been carried away with road rage and then had those same results. Maybe they could have used some music? :D

Now, i don't mean blasting your music and raving about in the drivers seat.
Just you know, some tunes you like, not too loud.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 08:33 PM

I listen to a local classic station out of Los Angeles.

KUSC.

Every 5 o'clock hour they play the "anti-road- rage-melodies".

Chopin, Bach and modern performers such as Yo Yo Ma.

Soothing. Gets me home.

It's playing over the shop floor right now. Just below the din of the CNC machines.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 08:36 PM

Any studies done to substantiate this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 611344)

But, yeah. Jean Sibelius is great!

I only ask because my father was a scientist and I grew up on vector studies and causation versus correlation.

mpg_numbers_guy 11-09-2019 08:47 PM

I don't listen to music when I'm on short trips (<30 min) and hypermiling, because I get so into the music that I can't hypermile as well. But on longer highway trips or with other people I do listen to music.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 09:01 PM

I do agree with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 611353)
I don't listen to music when I'm on short trips (<30 min) and hypermiling, because I get so into the music that I can't hypermile as well. But on longer highway trips or with other people I do listen to music.

When I need to concentrate, I do not listen to music or carry on a conversation with my passengers.

I rarely speed, but when I do, I do not need any distractions.

The Top Gear's STIG not withstanding, I'd wager top drivers will agree.

Fat Charlie 11-09-2019 10:21 PM

Music helps.

euromodder 11-10-2019 03:19 PM

Been studied, so yes, music influences the way you drive

Though maybe it's often the other way around
Many people will chose the music depending on their own mood
Thus reshaping how they drive

Vman455 11-15-2019 04:17 PM

I removed the sound system in my car completely in the summer of 2018, and have driven from central Illinois to New Hampshire and back, to Florida and back, and to New York and back (twice) since then. Our modern world is loud enough without reproducing noise in our cars. Yet, most people who find out about my (lack of) stereo wonder how I survive without piping sound in 24/7.