Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
electric bicycles

i've been looking around at electric bicycles lately and i can't seem to find the right one.

It seems like all the ones I can find are just electric assist, etc. none are truly electric only (considering range and the fact that you'd still want to be able to pedal when without power).

any tips?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hatch - '05 Volkswagen Golf Mk.V
90 day: 33.42 mpg (US)
I think you'll end up looking at conversion kits, where you have a bike and add the motor+battery system.

The majority of jurisdictions where E-bikes are sold have restrictions on power, speed or throttling that make what you want either illegal or disadvantaged by law. Companies like to be able to sell their bikes in as many markets as possible, so tend to make low power assist only bikes. Because kits are assembled from mixed parts and arent standards checked for import you can get them with more power and higher range packs.

Kits are available from a variety of different companies, mostly online. Ebay works too but quality varies. I suggest joining an E-bike board so you can be pointed toward what is great and steered well away from the dodgy bits that are out there.

The one company that comes to mind immediately for your needs is FFR They sell kitted out modified trikes but also kits. Also, if you're interested you can see how the motor system developed in this WISIL page
The Following User Says Thank You to ballo For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Yea, I actually have already had one of these kits by "wilderness" or whateverthehell the brand name is. The first rim was bent, sent it back, got another, I fried a battery, and then the hub motor stopped working after 2 days after spending a lot on a new battery.

I sent the whole thing back and got a refund.

Not doing another kit.

It seems like there SHOULD BE one out there, though.

I know in South Korea that scooters over 50cc require insurance, and associated stuffs. As a result the market is kind of flooded with 49cc scooters.

This is cool and I could see myself getting one, but I'd much rather have an e-bike so when I get back to the motherland (or if we move to Europe next) I could keep it. (the military will only pay for one vehicle to be moved).
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I have one of the kits from Electric Rider, and have been very happy with it, pretty much everyone else that I know who has an electric bike has also ended up buying a kit from them and has been very happy with no problems, the Crystalite motors are awesome and fast.
If you want to see what others are doing check out EVAlbum: Search Results For Bicicyles
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've had a Crystalyte rear hub kit since 2006 that I put on a Gary Fisher mountain bike. Rode it about 6000 kilometers the first couple years. Wore out the rear wheel which is the only problem I ever had with it. Finally put a new wheel on it but only ride sporadically as I went back to full pedal powered bikes. Good luck with your search.
JJ

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
e bike, electric bicycles