EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Electric conversion car insurance - Not (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-conversion-car-insurance-not-29833.html)

RobW 08-25-2014 04:41 PM

Electric conversion car insurance - Not

JC Taylor will not insure electric conversions - if they are not pretty enough.

My insurance agent can get it insured "if" it will go over 55 mph. (Not with 72v)

Hagerty will not insure - period!

How are you guys doing it? If I lie about the modification, no problem. Being punished for telling the truth?

Any suggestions?

Cobb 08-25-2014 05:48 PM

Geico makes you fill out a modification form, but I dont own an ev. :eek:

ElectricRider66 08-25-2014 05:52 PM

My motorycle a total custom build. My insurance carrier (AAA) would not insure it at all. I insure with Progressive.

MPaulHolmes 08-25-2014 06:39 PM

My approach wasn't to lie, so much as to withhold. Thankfully I was never in a wreck.

Cobb 08-25-2014 08:36 PM

I was in an accident that was the other guys fault. The insurance adjuster asked me what the custom parts cost and was just going to pay me the difference and I do the labor. His insurance turned out to drag their feet to the point the body shop was going to impound my car and auction it off. I got my insurance involved to fix it. They reimburse me for receipts as I replaced my custom parts, but I was out the labor and had to do it myself.

MetroMPG 08-25-2014 09:05 PM

Here in Ontario, I ran into a few dead ends cold-calling various companies direct. Then I went to a broker, explained the situation, and within a few days had a policy quote that seemed fair to me.

Probably cost a bit more (the broker has to get paid) but it was worth it. And worth it to the broker, too... she got the business for my ICE car too.

solarguy 08-25-2014 09:31 PM

If you fib a little, or a lot, or at all, you effectively nullify your insurance in the event that you ever really need it.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

Your insurance company is not your friend. They will not bend the rules to help you out of a tight spot, no matter how warm and fuzzy their commercials are.

They dream, (and train their claims people) of finding ways to deny your claim.

Ryland 08-26-2014 12:12 AM

Progressive is the only company that I found that would insure any of my electric vehicles, stock electric car, home converted electric motorcycle.

Both should have been able to be insured by Hagarty, but they mailed me back the check after the local agent said it was good to go.... twice.

oil pan 4 08-26-2014 07:21 PM

Any one have an electric convert on USAA?

RobW 08-26-2014 07:37 PM

I'm going to add a couple of batteries. I can get 53mph out of my 72 volts - 4000 lb car. So two more batteries should get me over 55 mph which is the requirement for Progressive. Local agent will be hooking me up with them once I get the 55mph.