Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
sirus20X6,
As vinny1989 mentioned there are a few available already.

One well worth a closer look is the Honda NSX set up.
Link below:
Electric Power Steering

My approach would be estimated the weight and forces on the steering wheels and find a standard production unit as close to where your calculations tell you yours should be. Then look around to get it all fitted.

Pete.
ok so as i understand that system:
"The NSX system consists of a rack-and-pinion steering gear with an electric motor installed concentrically around the rack. The motor transmits its power through a recirculating ball drive mechanism to push the rack right or left."

it's an electric motor built into/around a manual steering linkage? seems like the ultimate in power savings / survivability in a catastrophic failure.

I like

ok maybe i should point out a little more info. 94 honda civic ....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Rube Goldberg syndrome? Be a man and throw a manual box in it, I was but a sprig when I drove farm trucks and tractors around with manual steering. Less weight, less cost, less complexity, little cars aren't that hard to steer.
thanks for the input I was wondering if this was feasible too. What is your opinion on cutting out the hydraulic system and using a barbed fitting to connect the steering systems input and output, bypassing the pump and such?

how much easier to steer would a manual system be for something like a 94 honda civic than the bypassed system be?

Also 50 - 75 bucks doesn't seem that bad to get a little bit of electric assist for steering what do you think about integrating that?

sorry for all the questions I've just had a ton of wild turkey 101 and just brain storming about what I can do

Thanx
Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
Maybe you should try to mount an A/C clutch on the power steering pump. Seems like that's the easiest way to get what you're after.
Congratulations! We have a winner!

No, not a winning recommendation; I mean this may be the 100th time I've seen "put an a/c clutch on _______" and yet I've never seen any evidence that anyone anywhere on the globe has ever done it (besides Mad Max and his switchable supercharger).

I personally haven't bypassed a hydraulic rack by looping the lines although I understand it's been done plenty of times. I've run GM power steering without a belt for several years with no ill effect and the steering effort was only an issue at stops, and even then I quickly got used to it and it was no big deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-07-2011)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
A 94 Civic needs no power steering of any kind. This would be especially true if you run higher tire pressures. One thing you learn with manual steering is to make sure the car is moving (even if very slowly) when you turn the wheel. Sometimes this may not be possible but that is rare.

regards
Mech
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not sure if the Civic p/s was an option or not. If it was then it was most likely aimed at the market segment wanting "power everything" and was oblivious to the cost in MPG to pay for it all.
If there was a manual option then I would fit the manual rack and delete the whole p/s ass'y to save weight.

Pete.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX model had no power steering, probably others as well. You could get a rebuilt manual rack or used.

regards
Mech
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Some honda's have electric power steering. I know the Fit does.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

To the original OP. I would not even dream of trying to convert a 94 Civic to electric PS assist. It could turn out to be a real engineering nightmare.

Just drop in a manual rack and you will have a perfectly working system without all the added complexity. That's from the perspective of 60,000 hours of auto repair experience.

I have driven cars that weigh 1000 pounds more than that Honda with manual steering. If you just get the car barely moving the steering effort for the manual is nothing.

regards
Mech
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
dkv
Somewhere Coasting

Power Steering Belt Deleat.

Hi folks...I'm dk and new here so forgive me if I repeat anything already covered, although most of the posts I have read about dropping the belt off the P/S pump are a few hundred years old .

FWIW..I would like address the P/S system as a whole as I have read some thought about the systems that are misunderstood..

Reason P/S gets heavy when there is no power assist is primarily due to the fluid YOU have to now push through the system with the steering wheel.

If you drain ALL the fluid from the system, including the rack or box, the steering will be much lighter.

Without the pump being driven there is no fear you will damage anything in the steering train with the fluid drained..

To really drain the system you need to blow all the fluid out with air pressure down the pressure line.

If you increase tyre pressure to the side wall indicated max' this helps to.
( Changing back to cross ply will help too! )

( Off thread slightly...) Don't over inflate as this breaks cords in the tyre. All tyres used in the USA have a MAX pressure recommendation on the side wall. I use a 8ply tyre rated at 65psi on my Westy..........

If you are needing power assist even then, you could use a 12 vdc motor like they use on truck cab rams or similar where the pump is a starter motor body.

I know...starter motors are not continuous duty motors. So...the cure?

If you have a few engineering skills it is possible to build a P/S system to give you full time P/S and yet have the motor to pressurize the system come on intermittently.

Having a system that kicks in at idle or when the throttle is closed is not a good idea. This can produce some unwanted input to the system that will one day catch you by surprise.....and due to Sod's Law...it WILL .

My idea is as follows...although I have not built one yet.....that's for the future.................

As I said..some fire and semi truck cabs have an electric hydraulic pump run from the 12 volt system to lift the cab..these should be more than enough for a P/S system with a usual max' pressure demand of 400psi.

Other motors come from snow plows and tail lifts.

These pumps are built from 12vdc Starter Motors ...about 1/2 hp and up.

You will need a pressure reservoir and a Hobbs switch or similar to limit the pressure and cut the motor.

My only problem at present is coming up with a pressure reserve tank or accumulator with sufficient volume to not kick the pump in every few seconds.

Perhaps one of those Engine Oil Pre Lubers maybe....?....or perhaps one of these...draft beer/co2 tanks good to 1,800 psi.

No doubt someone here has a source for those. Gotta be cheap though.

Any ideas ?

regards

dk

Last edited by dkv; 03-07-2011 at 03:21 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You really don’t need power steering on a 94 Civic. And you shouldn't be steering unless you're moving anyway... it's bad for tires and the road surface.

Reply  Post New Thread