Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post

The original EV1 and my car both run off lead-acid batteries. As does a Plug-in converted Prius I saw a few weeks ago. So did cars built 100 years ago, when they outnumbered gasoline vehicles. The batteries we have now are perfectly acceptable for moving around vehicles.
My 'EL' ran on specialty batteries- owners manual warnings and the useful warrantee violation and all the scare tactics; but now it violated every warning- an oversize computer case with who-knows-what chargers, all nicely re-wired to 4 Die Hard lead-acid batteries. So much for waiting until technology is here!

Interestingly, I read in an article that Warren Buffett invested something like $12. to China for an EV. I am glad that people other than me don't wait!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
Interestingly, I read in an article that Warren Buffett invested something like $12. to China for an EV. I am glad that people other than me don't wait!
OOPS! @12M. BIG difference!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
bennelson, I just subscribed to your youtube channel.

Within 3 years there will be a big jump in progress with electric vehicles imo.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
The battery excuse is just that an excuse. Truth is that the foreign automakers rely upon US automakers to drive their sales. I'm sure you understand that the auto makers directly or indirectly are one of the biggest employers in the country. Honda, Toyota, BMW and most other automakers all got better cars for sale overseas than they sell here in the US. Why do they hold back on the US market? Because they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

I'm sure you realize that to the world the Americans are primary considered consumers/customers. If the import companies really let loose with their best cars in the US, it would really put the screws to the US auto industry and all the industries associated with it. Thus hurting their ability to sell those cars.

Look at the world markets through our little economic fall the last few weeks. All of the other countries are getting it worse than us, because when our economy goes bust, theirs just goes away.

I mean come on, Toyota's got a 40 mpg minivan for the asian market. You don't think that'd destroy the US made minivans. There are many examples like this. They purposely hold back their best so they can sell cars. Because if they didn't we wouldn't be able to buy any of them.

And when Honda blames battery tech for holding back it's their way of not revealing that they're holding a royal flush. It's not their style to gloat. And if it means they can make more money in the long run, they'll fold on that hand too.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure

Last edited by conradpdx; 10-13-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
newbie here to learn

Hot Rod toyota - '87 Toyota pick-up 2wd
conradpdx- keep preaching it!
Like Ben said, our culture needs to change.
We live in the "microwave" age. I want what I want in a minute 30 seconds.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
A minute thirty? Gosh, that's too long! My American appetite will waffle seven times in a minute thirty.

Have you ever stood in front of the mic waiting for it to get done reheating your pizza, going "C'mon, c'mon! I don't have all day..." ?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradpdx View Post
Honda, Toyota, BMW and most other automakers all got better cars for sale overseas than they sell here in the US. Why do they hold back on the US market? .
I am extremely curious why Germany is holding back their 3-wheelers (City-EL/Twike) yet China send Xebra/Triac. The City-L Basic model has more room than mine and a Sunroof. 'I iz jealous'!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
newbie here to learn

Hot Rod toyota - '87 Toyota pick-up 2wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
I am extremely curious why Germany is holding back their 3-wheelers (City-EL/Twike) yet China send Xebra/Triac. The City-L Basic model has more room than mine and a Sunroof. 'I iz jealous'!
You know why.....the insurance companies OWN those people that do the crash safety tests.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
electric car