Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I want steering like the old RC cars... you turn the wheel full lock, and wait for the wheels to catch up! How fun would that be at 75MPH?!

I like EAS, but I'm just not sure I'd enjoy being "disconnected" from the steering assembly. Unless EAS is literally a motor or actuator assisting by adding torque, but leaving the steering connected in traditional sense, I'm not sure I'd want it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Costs , packaging and weight all play a part in the equation along with driver "feel".

Some electric systems are claimed to feel "dead" and provide little if any feedback to the driver and this is one reason why e/h systems are still in use.

Pete.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter7307 For This Useful Post:
Eddles (09-07-2009)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I like EAS, but I'm just not sure I'd enjoy being "disconnected" from the steering assembly. Unless EAS is literally a motor or actuator assisting by adding torque, but leaving the steering connected in traditional sense, I'm not sure I'd want it.
EAS = Electrically assisted steering?

I've only had fully electric power steering on my old Honda Civic and the Haynes manual for it shows that the steering wheel is directly connected to the wheels, and the motor's attached to the column and the motor provides power directly on the column. So even if the motor conks out, you still have steering. Not quite fly-by-wire, but I can't say the same for other all-electric systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
Costs , packaging and weight all play a part in the equation along with driver "feel".

Some electric systems are claimed to feel "dead" and provide little if any feedback to the driver and this is one reason why e/h systems are still in use.
Costs and weight? Electric-hydraulic systems must cost more, as the electric motor is essentially the same set-up as an all-electric system, and the hydraulic system is added on top. Also, electric-hydraulic systems must weight more, again as the hydraulic system is on top?

However, the explanation of driver "feel" do make a *lot* of sense, as I mentioned before, in my old Civic, it had an all-electric system. I really disliked it, the steering wheel didn't even register bumps in the road, felt completely dead and *very* light - felt like it wasn't connected to anything. While the PAS in my Astra isn't as "responsive" as cars without any power steering, it's still a better than the all-electric system. I would much rather to have a car without any power steering at all, but they tend not to exist nowadays - I know if I want a car without PAS, I'll have to get a 15+ year old "supermini" class car or something like that like my old Nova I had before the Civic. Most annoying.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km
Reply  Post New Thread