Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts

This one is in my Photoshops album. Rather than an inflatable, a virtual bubble. I learned this from you years ago, showed Hersbird this pic, and he implemented on his Hi-Lo. I forget his results.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (11-14-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

This one is in my Photoshops album. Rather than an inflatable, a virtual bubble. I learned this from you years ago, showed Hersbird this pic, and he implemented on his Hi-Lo. I forget his results.
Well I don't know if it worked but it looked dang cool! Seriously that trailer did get really good MPG but I didn't have a lot of before testing and did everything at once so I didn't know if any one thing helped more than others, or if it just did good the way it came from the factory. I could get over 15 mpg towing with a rig I seldom got better than 17 mpg not towing.

I'm now back in the idea of planning a ground up build again now that I have the TDI and the tongue weight on my big camper is really over the hitch rating although the overall weight is within the tow rating. I could probably ditch 1 of 2 propane tanks and switch in Li-ion batteries and move them inside and get it under the 615 pound limit. That wouldn't get me that sweet 15 mpg again though, and I think I can beat 20 mpg with a ground up build.

see how it faced the air in relation to the tow rig.

also notice the factory trailer is "shark nosed". I don't know if that helped in any way either but as the back of the Aspen sloped in a parallel manner I can't imagine it hurt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-16-2019), freebeard (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I always thought those forward facing radii should be perforated wit RGB-LEDs inside and a plasma globe in the cap. Sort of a Dekotora/Wurlitzer trailer.

If you do a ground-up rebuild consider a trolley top. It could match the crown of the tow vehicle's roof.

Reply  Post New Thread