Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Energy Program in Texas

Here's an interesting program in Texas.

Quote:
Overview

Introducing the newest energy conservation product at TXU Energy …the TXU Energy iThermostatTM.

Replace your old thermostat with the innovative, FREE TXU Energy iThermostat, designed to help you manage your home’s energy use, save money and help the environment.

* Control your home’s temperature from anywhere: Home, work or on the road, monitor and manage your home’s air conditioner temperature setting from any Internet-connected device via your secure, customized Web site.
* Save money: Adjust settings for weekdays and weekends, with up to four programmable periods a day. It’s easy to maximize the comfort of your home when you’re there to enjoy it – and save money when you’re away.
* Help the environment: Your iThermostat helps the environment by allowing TXU Energy to manage peak electric use which can prevent power interruptions and help keep rates lower.
They are only suppose to "manage" it for 10 minutes and if it getting to hot you can call a number to have them un-manage it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Southern California Edison has been offering that thermostat alongside $100 to any willing homeowner for a few years now. The only people I've seen willing to take the offer were those living at the beach.

I realize why, but I always find it interesting that electric companies are encouraging people to consume less power.

- LostCause
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Southern California Edison has been offering that thermostat alongside $100 to any willing homeowner for a few years now. The only people I've seen willing to take the offer were those living at the beach.

I realize why, but I always find it interesting that electric companies are encouraging people to consume less power.

- LostCause
It has to be more about the brown outs. Maybe it cost them more when the system goes down then if the can keep it going. It like extended warranties. They don't offer it to because it's a great deal for you.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

They have a similar system with Austin Energy. My suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting into. The friend of mine who has one, says that the electric company kept cycling his AC and for the most part ran it in a way that actually used more electricity and kept his house warmer (I don't remember the specifics, but what he told me made sense). When he called them up to see what the deal was, he was basically told that the usage policy was designed to save the electric company energy and not necessarily the individual user. My guess is it helps the energy company manage peak electricity usage possibly at the expense of some individual users.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Lazarus -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
It has to be more about the brown outs. Maybe it cost them more when the system goes down then if the can keep it going. It like extended warranties. They don't offer it to because it's a great deal for you.
If you reduce the peak-load, you don't have to maintain as much capacity on standby. You don't have to build more power plants that are otherwise idle except for the summer months.

I know that it used to be part of their legal requirement as controlled monopolies, but I am not sure about that anymore.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2526 View Post
They have a similar system with Austin Energy. My suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting into. The friend of mine who has one, says that the electric company kept cycling his AC and for the most part ran it in a way that actually used more electricity and kept his house warmer (I don't remember the specifics, but what he told me made sense). When he called them up to see what the deal was, he was basically told that the usage policy was designed to save the electric company energy and not necessarily the individual user. My guess is it helps the energy company manage peak electricity usage possibly at the expense of some individual users.
It's very simple. He got a free programmable thermostat that is valued at $79 bucks or so with free installation that would cost $100 bucks and Austin Energy gets to turn his AC off for 10 minutes in the rare event that they are temporarily overloaded. Seems like a fair trade to me given that there are usually less than 12 days per year that they even have to use this feature. Plus, the programmable functionality of the thermostat alone will save him money and makes the deal well worth it and he can also feel good that he is doing his part in helping his entire city save energy and money.

Reply  Post New Thread