Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution
 
Lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,482

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Energy Program in Texas

Here's an interesting program in Texas.

Quote:
Overview

Introducing the newest energy conservation product at TXU Energy …the TXU Energy iThermostatTM.

Replace your old thermostat with the innovative, FREE TXU Energy iThermostat, designed to help you manage your home’s energy use, save money and help the environment.

* Control your home’s temperature from anywhere: Home, work or on the road, monitor and manage your home’s air conditioner temperature setting from any Internet-connected device via your secure, customized Web site.
* Save money: Adjust settings for weekdays and weekends, with up to four programmable periods a day. It’s easy to maximize the comfort of your home when you’re there to enjoy it – and save money when you’re away.
* Help the environment: Your iThermostat helps the environment by allowing TXU Energy to manage peak electric use which can prevent power interruptions and help keep rates lower.
They are only suppose to "manage" it for 10 minutes and if it getting to hot you can call a number to have them un-manage it.

__________________
"Judge a person by their questions rather than their answers."

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Liberti
 
LostCause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 504

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Southern California Edison has been offering that thermostat alongside $100 to any willing homeowner for a few years now. The only people I've seen willing to take the offer were those living at the beach.

I realize why, but I always find it interesting that electric companies are encouraging people to consume less power.

- LostCause
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution
 
Lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,482

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Southern California Edison has been offering that thermostat alongside $100 to any willing homeowner for a few years now. The only people I've seen willing to take the offer were those living at the beach.

I realize why, but I always find it interesting that electric companies are encouraging people to consume less power.

- LostCause
It has to be more about the brown outs. Maybe it cost them more when the system goes down then if the can keep it going. It like extended warranties. They don't offer it to because it's a great deal for you.
__________________
"Judge a person by their questions rather than their answers."

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have a similar system with Austin Energy. My suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting into. The friend of mine who has one, says that the electric company kept cycling his AC and for the most part ran it in a way that actually used more electricity and kept his house warmer (I don't remember the specifics, but what he told me made sense). When he called them up to see what the deal was, he was basically told that the usage policy was designed to save the electric company energy and not necessarily the individual user. My guess is it helps the energy company manage peak electricity usage possibly at the expense of some individual users.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 528 Times in 355 Posts
Lazarus -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
It has to be more about the brown outs. Maybe it cost them more when the system goes down then if the can keep it going. It like extended warranties. They don't offer it to because it's a great deal for you.
If you reduce the peak-load, you don't have to maintain as much capacity on standby. You don't have to build more power plants that are otherwise idle except for the summer months.

I know that it used to be part of their legal requirement as controlled monopolies, but I am not sure about that anymore.

CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Place That Needs Millions of Electric Cars
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2526 View Post
They have a similar system with Austin Energy. My suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting into. The friend of mine who has one, says that the electric company kept cycling his AC and for the most part ran it in a way that actually used more electricity and kept his house warmer (I don't remember the specifics, but what he told me made sense). When he called them up to see what the deal was, he was basically told that the usage policy was designed to save the electric company energy and not necessarily the individual user. My guess is it helps the energy company manage peak electricity usage possibly at the expense of some individual users.
It's very simple. He got a free programmable thermostat that is valued at $79 bucks or so with free installation that would cost $100 bucks and Austin Energy gets to turn his AC off for 10 minutes in the rare event that they are temporarily overloaded. Seems like a fair trade to me given that there are usually less than 12 days per year that they even have to use this feature. Plus, the programmable functionality of the thermostat alone will save him money and makes the deal well worth it and he can also feel good that he is doing his part in helping his entire city save energy and money.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mechanism Behind Flow Separation LostCause Aerodynamics 46 07-15-2010 07:38 AM
Geothermal energy? DifferentPointofView Saving@Home 46 02-05-2009 10:15 PM
Energy shortage? There's never any Energy shortages Peakster The Lounge 5 04-10-2008 10:06 PM
Canadian government caves in to automakers and kills auto efficiency rebate program MetroMPG General Efficiency Discussion 12 04-01-2008 06:19 PM
News: Denver launches "Driving change" program to increase efficiency MetroMPG Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed 4 03-13-2008 03:18 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com