Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Experiment up and coming...

So,
I did introduce myself, but for the sake of context...

I am a HS teacher in Wisconsin that makes biodiesel (or did, more on this later) with his students in automotives while the chem teacher handles the chemistry end of the business. We were using the Bio (produced from our schools horrifying lunch room) and producing some decent product that was being used by our grounds crew. We made 3 batches that they used, the first was our first, and had some issues. The second had no issues, the third was awesome, we made a fourth and fifth that were better yet. The fourth went to a trucking firm in trade for pure soy oil, and the fifth sat in wait for use. The quality was awesome, perfect by astm and water testing. When the spring came, the grounds crew said no to batch 5, on the premise that the first batch had problems. Words happened, and it became the belief that if we wanted to make this work, we had to make some things happen on our own. 5th batch went in a 2004 Duramax at 100 PERCENT!! No problems! So, we decided some things...

First, the grounds crew is the grounds crew at our school for a reason.
Second, relying on anyone else other than yourself is...you get the idea.
Third, we need our own vehicle, and now!

SO, here is our plan, experiment, and problems:

Plan, purchase a semi modern diesel vehicle to use with our classes. Chemistry will do the chem. My auto students will maintain it, produce the bio. Chemistry will do the chem. Physics...This is where it gets interesting...Physics will conduct research/setup experiments for fuel mileage (eco research). Engineering courses will design modifications. Fab classes will...fab. Autos install product for testing and verify fitment and issues. Vehicle will than be used within the district and for out of district travel by staff.

Problem-
1. no car and very little money.
2. need a car that can carry the image that will be needed for positive press.
3. need sponsors to make it happen.

What do you think?? Any suggestions?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I can find extremely cheap cars on craigslist all the time. Go there and you won't even have to beg anyone.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The image, and willingness for staff to use, has to be there. We found some fantastic samples that would work awesome. 80's rabbit, 190sd merc, and then the price hops to modern vw. What you or I would drive is going to be different than a teaching or admin staff would. There is a certain amount of pride that ecomodders take in FE with a willingness to give up comfort, convenience, and image. The people that will drive this are not ecomodders, they are being ecomodded. Just some food for thought on the project.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
If you are creating surplus & have no way to store large quantities, you may want to consider approaching your bussing system. I would think that if you show them it works in a modern pickup, they would be happy to save a few bucks by mixing it with dino diesel.

It would keep the savings in your school system & allow you to get rid of the fryer oil.

On a side note, what temps & how bad does it gel in Wisconson winters?

Don
Old 04-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, we would be producing too much for the schools lawnmower, but probably enough that a car could use it for the amount of travel the district is doing. cloud point on bio is 40 degrees F, diesel 34 degrees F

Reply  Post New Thread