Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
I'm 37 yrs old, 5'10" with back problems and I get in and out of my Metro 30x a day doing pizza delivery and it doesn't cause me any issues with my back. The manual steering is another issue though but I am getting more shoulder strength from driving it so it is becoming less of an issue. There is plenty of head room too, especially in the 4 door. The 89-91 seats seem to be more comfortable than the 92-94 seats ( I have both a 91 and a 92) and have a lot of lumbar support. Then again, I am a Geo Metro fan boy...

No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
that is part of the problem Frank Lee, a gear ratio swap with computer retunning would cost at minimum 600. Yes, overall it would be cheaper, but I like the idea of a lightweight turbo 4cyl in place of a heavy cast iron 6cyl.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
Don't get me wrong Jim-Bob, a metro was my first choice. The wife said no new cars for me. I have been through several cars in the past few years, and the wife is tired of it. The funny thing is she would rather see me spend the money on a swap like this and the tools needed to complete the job than spend the money on another vehicle. Wife rules, what can I say.

J
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
texanidiot25 - There were 4 cyl turbos used back in the late 80s and early 90s, but they weren't that great. The swap doesn't have to cost over 2grand. That is where getting an entirely wrecked vehicle comes in and using everything possible. As far as emissions, as long as the engine is from a 2001 or newer vehicle (must be to be legal) then I can use the items from both vehicles to make it compliant with little difficulty.

J
GM didn't have turbo-4s in their production cars back then. They had a few Turbo V6s, (GN, Sy/Ty, Grandprix GTP) but that was about it. There are no 4 bangers in W-Bodies, you'd be starting from scratch basically for everything. And all of this work, down time, and money to get a vehicle that has little to no chance of being more efficient, and no value to anyone to resell...

As you found, changing the final drive would help, give it a shot if you have to do something. Or, spend YOUR money the way YOU want and buy better car for fuel economy. Listening to women is how bad decisions are made.

Edit: Wiki says the early W-Bodies had the Ironpuke 4 cylinder, but it wouldn't work for your swap legally, the engine is one of the most miserable pieces of junk ever made, and I doubt it'd work in the newer W-body.

Quote:
Hi Sularus,
I did the opposite many years ago, dropping a 3.8 V6 and turbo-hydra into a Chevy that had a 4cyl and a 4 speed manual. Of course the mileage dropped but performance was fine. If you can find the engine you want in a GM of about the same age it shouldn't be too much trouble. I found a Buick at a junk yard that had been sandwiched. I had to cut the drive shaft, this was in rwd days. And there was some motor mount welding and add some front spring spacers to get the front end leveled, but really minor stuff all considered. All told it was a pretty complete drive train swap for about $1000. So I think you can do it, and maybe cheaper too.
I think it is a good idea and in the long run will save you money.

-mort
Man, we are way past the days of dirt cheap engine swaps with no legalities to deal with. Nowhere near as easy at the BOF cars.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
6cy 4cy, engine, swap