EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   EOC - concerns (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eoc-concerns-2000.html)

jcantara 04-25-2008 03:14 PM

EOC - concerns

While doing some very low-speed (luckily) testing of EOC (engine-off-coast) in a parking lot, at one point during a turn, I was coasting, and had apparently turned the key to 'off' rather than 'accessory', and the steering wheel locked. I had enough time to slow down and unlock the steering wheel, but it was a scary adrenaline-filled second when the wheel wouldn't turn where I wanted it.

Anybody else ever run into this and/or is there a way to address it aside from modding the vehicle by putting in something like a fuel cutoff button to manually disable the engine without the key?

(first post, btw, cool site)
-Jesse

MetroMPG 04-25-2008 03:29 PM

Hi Jesse -

First, welcome to the site.

Second, glad you tried this in a parking lot and not on the road! Seriously. I bet there was some adrenaline.

I made a kill switch for my car, though I also use the technique in other cars without one. I can't say that I've ever mistakenly turned to "OFF" and locked the steering, but like most driving tasks it'll probably take a lot of repetition before the correct way to do it becomes a habit.

Aside from the kill switch, I can't think of any other easy "fix" for the problem other than careful repetition.

And I wouldn't recommend using the technique if you're not 100% comfortable with it and understand the potential risks. (It sounds like you're aware ;))

Daox 04-25-2008 03:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the site Jesse.

I hate to say it, but your doing it wrong. :) The proper procedure for EOC has been talked about a few times. Here is a link:

http://forum.ecomodder.com/showthread.php?t=1388

jcantara 04-25-2008 03:35 PM

I know I was doing it wrong (obviously) :) but I'm just saying that it was really easy to turn the key the extra click and get it wrong. Just a word of caution to those who might attempt it I suppose.

Randy 04-25-2008 08:56 PM

The first time I tried it I turned it to Lock and removed the key (!)... it was just my automatic 'turn it off' move. I was just rolling to a stop, but it's probably better to practice while you're sitting still a few times. You get used to it very quickly, and there's zero chance of screwing it up once you've done it a few times. A kill switch is still better, just because key assemblies are very expensive.

ihatejoefitz 04-25-2008 08:56 PM

I took out the steering lock in my lumina. It was pretty simple, but I do think a kill switch would be easier to install.

MetroMPG 04-25-2008 10:11 PM

Randy - removing the key: that's funny!

Somewhat related: on 3 occasions I've disconnected the main battery pack cable in the electric car by pressing the clutch pedal, which is rigged as the emergency shut off. Each time I did it was an "automatic" combo move: get in, seatbelt on, insert key and depress the clutch. Also each time I was also either tired or distracted.

bennelson 04-28-2008 09:34 AM

Even standard driving is not safe if the driver is tired or distracted.

What I like best about ecomodders and hypermilers is that they just plain pay more attention!

reformed 04-28-2008 10:06 AM

Also as a side note, if you do put in a seperate kill switch, you're better off putting in something that kills your spark, instead of your fuel. Interrupting the tach wire going into your distributer is always a safe bet.. assuming you have a distributer, of course. If you do decide to go this route, I can give you the wire color and location of this wire if you provide me with your year, make, and model.

Doofus McFancypants 04-28-2008 11:46 AM

Welcome

my first EOC was rough. was on the road - granted there was no one aroung me but it was not in a parking lot - really stupid on my part.

To this day i am unsure what i did wrong, but i poped the clutch and the engine did not fire up. had to stop car then start with key.

I THINK it was miss-keyed and not "ON".
but after that ( and several lower speed checks in my development) the pattern becomes almost habit.

Steve