Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
Synthetic oil isn't necesarily going to stick any longer, it will just be effective for a longer time period(won't break down for 40,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles just an example). If you changed to a thicker oil it would stick longer, but it would cause more resistance resulting in damage in some cases and lower mpg's in others. If the owners manual says no to flat tow i wouldn't do it.

Oh, and as for the smell caused by the cat, cooling and heating the cat that many more times may reduce it's useful life. Also the smell of sulfur normally means it's not catylizing at normal efficieny so you may also have s slight increae in emissions...but you may save more with having the car off while coasting. Not saying people shouldn't eoc or anything though

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mi-chan - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Last 3: 31.74 mpg (US)

Temp - '10 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 36.17 mpg (US)

Mom - '99 Honda CR-V
90 day: 27.82 mpg (US)

MESI - '10 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
i wouldn't do it if it says it can't be flat towed,
2005 is still pretty new, and the few mpg you could gain that way could be lost in the repairs of the vehicle.
yea you're right. i didn't do it on purpose though, i just didn't know about the whole flat-tow business.

i went to get an oil change on friday and during the inspection or whatever the guy comes into the waiting room like... "hey, is that 05 corolla yours?" at that point i already knew something was bad

anyway he came to show me the color of my transmission fluid and asked me if i drove it hard.. my car only has 24k miles on it but the fluid was dark purple / black, like it was all burned (hmm...i know why.....) so i had to do a tranny service as well. luckily i talked down the price but then again how do i know i still wasn't cheated??

btw anyone know the cost for a auto tranny service, typically??
Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush3gan View Post
yea you're right. i didn't do it on purpose though, i just didn't know about the whole flat-tow business.

i went to get an oil change on friday and during the inspection or whatever the guy comes into the waiting room like... "hey, is that 05 corolla yours?" at that point i already knew something was bad

anyway he came to show me the color of my transmission fluid and asked me if i drove it hard.. my car only has 24k miles on it but the fluid was dark purple / black, like it was all burned (hmm...i know why.....) so i had to do a tranny service as well. luckily i talked down the price but then again how do i know i still wasn't cheated??

btw anyone know the cost for a auto tranny service, typically??
I don't know the cost because i do my own, but i know alot of places scam people by saying they need it and then say they do it but they don't, so i would check your fluid and make sure it's nice and red now that you got the service. I think the places around here advertise like 120 bucks for a fluid exchange but don't quote me and those are the oil-x-change places not actual mechanics shops.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mi-chan - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Last 3: 31.74 mpg (US)

Temp - '10 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 36.17 mpg (US)

Mom - '99 Honda CR-V
90 day: 27.82 mpg (US)

MESI - '10 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
yeah good call, i should wipe it down and check it out. my fluid was bad, no doubt about that so it DID need changing, but i should check to see that they really did it. thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
After you get the fluid changed, check it regularly and if it starts to go dark/bad again, get toyota to install a new tranny or sell your car. Don't mention anything about EOC of course.
If that bothers you ethically, I really, really, doubt your 3 times EOC has anything to do with the condition of your tranny. I did probably 100 miles of EOC (in 0.5 mile chunks) in my auto neon before I did some investigation and found out that it could be bad. The fluid in the tranny looks/smells brand new and it might be 100,000 miles and 13 years old as initially Chrysler stated that it never needs to be changed in the owners manual. I guess I should change it but I haven't bothered yet.
Ian

Reply  Post New Thread