Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Europe's Greenest Driver will win an Opel ampera

Quote:
Source: http://media.gm.com/content/media/in...river_will_win

Rüsselsheim. The motto says it all: “Green Drivers Wanted!” Opel is looking for Europe’s greenest driver during the ecoFLEX Experience, a unique European competition where ambitious entrants can show off their fuel-efficient, environmentally friendly driving skills. Opel will provide just the right cars with models from its ecoFLEX series. The competition starts April 1 and the winner will take home one of the first Opel Ampera cars ever built. The extended-range electric vehicle will go on sale in 2011.

Top ecoFLEX models: Corsa, Astra and Insignia

Low fuel consumption is one of the key criteria for many car buyers. Opel offers customers an excellent choice to easily meet this requirement with models in its broad ecoFLEX portfolio. From the Agila to the Insignia – with 118 kW/160 hp requiring just 5.2 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers and emitting 136 g/km CO2 – ecoFLEX vehicles are especially fuel efficient and environmentally friendly. Ecologically conscious Opel drivers don’t have to compromise on performance or driving fun – nor do they have to pay exorbitant extra costs. All types of powertrains are available – gas and diesel as well as alternative fuels like Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG). And car buyers welcome the opportunity to drive both economically and ecologically: Nowadays, up to 40 percent of all Opel models sold carry the ecoFLEX badge.

The Corsa 1.3 CDTI ecoFLEX and the Astra 1.3 CDTI ecoFLEX are the latest models to showcase this technology. The five-door Astra sedan with 70 kW/95 hp needs an average of just 4.2 liters diesel per 100 kilometers, which results in exemplary CO2 emissions of 109 grams per kilometer. The equally powerful Corsa even tops those impressive figures – it needs just 3.7 liters for 100 kilometers and emits 98 grams of CO2 per kilometer, putting it under the 100 gram level.

Ampera seeks an owner: Starting signal for pan-European fuel-saving event

When the ecoFLEX Experience kicks off April 1, Opel will be looking throughout the continent for the driver who squeezes every last efficient drop out of the Opel models’ fuel-saving potential. Drivers must first show their fuel efficiency smarts in an online quiz before moving to an Internet simulator to prove their virtual driving and gas-saving abilities. The best – the most environmentally friendly driver from each of the 20 participating countries – will be invited to a multi-day event in Sweden this summer. Under the supervision of professionals, the finalists will square off in a pan-European competition at the Sturup Raceway in Malmö. The greenest driver will then be named the ecoFLEX Experience champion. The winner can look forward to a special prize: one of the very first Opel Ampera production cars, which guarantee the environmentally friendly mobility of tomorrow. Interested participants can register online now.

The pre-production model of the Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV) recently successfully completed its first long-distance drive on public roads with a trip from Rüsselsheim to Geneva. The Ampera’s 16 kWh lithium-ion battery allows it to travel 60 kilometers electrically – completely emission-free. After that, a gasoline-fueled engine starts to generate electricity to drive the wheels for the remainder of the journey. And there’s plenty of driving fun along the way: The exceptionally quiet 111 kW/150 hp electric motor delivers 370 Newton meters of torque from a standstill. It accelerates the Ampera from zero to 100 km/h in around nine seconds and can reach a maximum speed of 161 km/h.
Saw this, and well since there are many European members on this site who are excellent hyper-milers, I thought you might be interested in this!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...the "stock" Ampera/Opal has 60km range and 500km with "optional" power pack?

...hm-m-m-m, sounds like a re-skinned GM-VOLT...I wonder why(?)
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
This reminds me of the peugeot thing i did last year. Well, that failed miserably! Will this be any different? I might just call into a local opel dealer and find out!
I'm thinking the online quiz is designed to filter out the "unsuitable" drivers.
Stealth mode enabled......

ollie
Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Subscribed! I wont hold my breath though..
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...the "stock" Ampera/Opal has 60km range and 500km with "optional" power pack?

...hm-m-m-m, sounds like a re-skinned GM-VOLT...I wonder why(?)
Thats because it is. Its a Chevy Volt with a new bumper. Mainly because Chevy doesnt sell cars in continental Europe (they sell rebadged Daewoos and Vauxhalls with at least 1 original Chevy, the Cruze, in Britain) so they put the Volt under the Opel/Vauxhall brand, which does sell cars to all of Europe. Its simple as marketing the car under a recognizable marque, so it will sell.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Couldn't help notice it begins on.....APRIL 1 !

This IS for real , right?

Pete.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Greenest? I ride a bike...beat that Prius/Daewoo/Volt/Geo/magical fairy ride.

The Following User Says Thank You to MadisonMPG For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-19-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread